Description: The Redoubt Fort
Date Listed: 27 May 1949
English Heritage Building ID: 293531
OS Grid Reference: TV6231999708
OS Grid Coordinates: 562319, 99708
Latitude/Longitude: 50.7742, 0.3008
1065 The Redoubt Fort
TV 6299 1/34 27.5.49.
Built in 1806 as part of the same series of defences as the Martello Tower.
This is rather a curiosity. It consists of 2 concentric circular brick walls
with a dry moat between them. The inner wall is crenallated with a raised
platform behind it, beneath which is a series of arches or recesses that
houses stores and men as a magazine and barracks combined. In the centre
is a circular grassed open space. During the 1939/45 war this fort was
again used for defence purposes and some of the openings in the inner wall
were strengthened by the construction of pill boxes and look outs.
Listing NGR: TV6231999708
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.