Description: Old Hastings House
Date Listed: 19 January 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 293954
OS Grid Reference: TQ8274609970
OS Grid Coordinates: 582746, 109970
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8604, 0.5953
(North West Side)
Old Hastings House
TQ 8209 NE 8/57 19.1.51.
Early-mid C18 mansion. Front brick with chamfered stone quoins. Parapet with
stone coping. Slate and tiled hipped roofs. 3 storeys. 7 closely spaced windows
with flat brick arches, all sashes without glazing bars. Central porch with Tuscan
columns supporting entablature, glazed door and rectangular fanlight. Set back
on right carriageways above rendered, one sash window, tile roof with gable end.
Wing at rear facing south-west, 3 tall 1st floor sashes with ornate iron balcony
and canopy. Attached to south corner is late C19 square conservatory with splayed
angles, pyramidal roof with ogee-domed lantern. Interior: entrance hall with bolection-
moulded panelling, rooms with wooden cornices, good contemporary staircase. On
outside are tablets to General Murray, Jurat of Hastings who was with General Wolfe
at Quebec, and to Coventry Patmore, poet, who lived here from 1873-1891. John
Collier (1685-1660) mayor of Hastings also lived here. Formerly known as The Mansion,
renamed Old Hastings House 1892.
Old Hastings House and its garden walls and gates forms a group with Torfield House.
Listing NGR: TQ8274609970
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.