Description: Crown House
Date Listed: 19 January 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 293992
OS Grid Reference: TQ7976908817
OS Grid Coordinates: 579769, 108817
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8509, 0.5525
TQ 7908 NE 10/196 19.1.51.
1828 by James Burton. Renamed Victoria House after Princess Victoria and Duchess
of Kent stayed here in 1834-35. Recently restored. Detached 2-storey building.
Painted stucco. Ground floor: central recessed door and 3-light sash windows in
slightly recessed segmental headed panels, seperated by 4 wide panelled piers.
1st floor: 4 pairs of coupled, fluted Ionic columns, supporting entablature with
wide cornice and parapet with pedimented centre. This 1st floor colonnade forms
a verandah with delicate wrought iron railing in front of central tall sash with
cornice and flanking canted bay windows with paired pilasters between. Part of
James Burton's design for St Leonards.
Nos 36 to 44 (consec) and No 40A (Eastern Colonnade), Royal Victoria Hotel,
Nos 48 to 53 (consec) (Western Colonnade), No 57 and Nos 60 to 62 (consec)
form a group, of which Nos 60, 61 and 62 are of local interest only.
Listing NGR: TQ7976908817
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.