Description: East Hill House
Date Listed: 19 January 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 294082
OS Grid Reference: TQ8267809578
OS Grid Coordinates: 582678, 109578
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8569, 0.5941
(East Hill House)
TQ 8209 NE 8/83 19.1.51.
Late C18/early C19. The east front facing street is of less interest: stuccoed,
parapet, 3 storeys, 3 windows, irregular, sashes mostly with glazing bars, Victorian
area railings, plaque inscribed "HRH The Duke of Sussex with Lady Augusta Murray
and Colonel D'Este resided here in the summer of 1794". A better west elevation
overlooking town: stuccoed, parapet, new tiled roof, 4 storeys, 3 windows, 2 full-height
4-storey segmental bowed bays of 3-light sashes, glazing bars intact throughout.
1st floor doorway between and up 12 steps (with plain but original iron railings)
as the level of the ground is higher on the east side then on the west. This doorway
has fluted Ionic pilasters, modillion pediment and pulvinated frieze, rectangular
fanlight with intersecting glazing bars, and 6-panel door. Central sash windows
on floors above.
Nos 1 to 13 (consec) form a group, of which Nos 1 to 6 and Nos 9 to 12 are of
local interest only.
Listing NGR: TQ8267809578
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.