Description: 5 and 6, West Ascent
Date Listed: 14 September 1976
English Heritage Building ID: 294130
OS Grid Reference: TQ7983008861
OS Grid Coordinates: 579830, 108861
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8513, 0.5534
Nos 5 and 6
TQ 7908 NE 10/199A
Circa 1830 by James Burton. These 2 houses are part of the original lay-out of
St Leonards by James Burton. They are a pair built as one composition and with
No 4 adjoining are all that remains of this small terrace since Nos 1 and 2 and
part of No 3 were demolished by a bomb during war. 3 storeys and semi-basement
with area. 1:3:1 windows. Stuccoed. Cornice above 1st floor. Cornice and parapet
above 2nd floor. Square bay windows to ground floor and basement. The lst floor
windows above these are in moulded architraves. Between the latter are 3 narrow
round-headed windows the centre one blind all with semi-circular tympana. Ditto
on the 2nd floor except that the outer windows are not in architraves but in reveals.
Sashes, the glazing bars missing. Joint porch with rusticated pilasters and elliptical
arch, projecting cornice and parapet, and semi-circular traceried fanlights, and
cast iron hand-rail up steps. Stuccoed balustrade to areas.
Nos 4 to 6 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ7983308864
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.