Description: The Dower House, Bayham Abbey
Date Listed: 18 March 1977
English Heritage Building ID: 296161
OS Grid Reference: TQ6492936461
OS Grid Coordinates: 564929, 136461
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1037, 0.3544
Explore more of the area around Frant, East Sussex at Explore Britain.
In the entry for:-
TQ 63 NW 8/354 FRANT BAYHAM ROAD
18.3.77 Bayham Old Abbey
(formerly listed as Bayhold Old
the entry shall be amended to read:
TQ 63 NW FRANT BAYHAM ROAD
8/354 The Dower House, Bayham
GV 11* (star)
Part ticket office, part living accomodation, formerly a dower house to
the Camden estate. Built in 3 phases with medieval possibly monastic core.
South wing early C18 with reused Medieval masonry from Bayham Abbey. North
wing built by John Pratt, Viscount Bayham, before 1752 when Horace Walpole
saw it, and a most important and early example of mid C18 Gothic revival, predating Sanderson Miller's Laycock Abbey and overlapping with Horace
Walpole's Strawberry Hill with medieval fragments to either. Between 1799
& 1814 the south wing which had become a service wing to the Gothic villa,
was refaced on the east possibly to a design by Humphry Repton who was
engaged by the Second Lord Camden to improve the estate. A large extension
of the 1830s east of the south range was demolished in the 1950s. North
and east fronts built of Tunbridge Wells stone rubble, south and west
fronts red brick (painted to west) on ground floor and tile hung above.
Tiled roofs with brick chimney stacks. North of principal front mid C19
with hipped roof and 2 brick chimney stacks, 2 storeys, 7 windows,
including 2 full height 3-light canted bays. Windows are 6-light arched
sashes with hexagonal patterns to upper panes, crenellated parapet and
projecting band to cornice. Plinth. Central arched doorcase with fanlight
under cambered dripmould. 3 stone steps. Mid C18 door with arched pattern
in studs. East front has a central lower section of 2 storeys and attics.
2 windows, flanked by wings of taller 2 storey canted bays with 6-pane
arched windows. 3 C20 flat dormers to centre. 1st floor has tripartite
windows and ground floor has modified Venetian windows. West front has
ground floor painted brick and 1st floor tile hung and 4 hipped dormers
and C20 casements below. South front has ground floor of red brick with
grey headers, tile hung 1st floor and 4 6 pane sashes. Interior of north
wing has mid C18 staircase with column newel and turned balusters. Ground
floor has 2 rooms with dado panelling with trefoil pattern, stone arched fireplace with rid mouldings and cornice with trefoils and arched
doorcases. 1st floor has one room with early C19 basket firegate in
original fireplace, dado rail, arched doorcase and cornice. Another room
has original stone arched fire surround. Roof has reversed medieval
timbers from the east end of Bayham Abbey Church. South wing has C18 roof
of staggered purlins, attic with c1830 iron firegrate, early C19 service staircase with turned balusters and column newels and 2 panelled door
with L hinge. Ground floor cupboard contains probably reused section of
medieval ribbed stone. Cellar has stone winder stairs, fireplace of
reused medieval stone, 3 stone alcoves and C18 wine bins.
FRANT BAYHAM ROAD
Bayham Old Abbey
(formerly listed as
Bayhold Old Abbey)
TQ 63 NW 8/354 18.3.77
Now used as the ticket-office for the ruins, otherwise empty. The seat
of the Marquess of Camden until the present mansion was built in 1870-2.
The core of the building may be C17. But the main portion is C18. It was
then gothicised about 1750. Two storeys. Eight windows. South and west
sides red brick on ground floor, tile-hung above. East and north sides
sandstone ashlar. Tiled roof. Sash windows with obtusely-pointed Gothic
heads. The east front has 2 Venetian windows with the centre light pointed
and 2 bays, faced with Roman cement, of 3 windows each on both floors.
The north front has 2 similar bays, a castellated parapet and doorway with
pointed fanlight. The building- is not in good condition.
Listing NGR: TQ6492936461
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.