British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Shepherds Hill Including Terracing, Steps, Gatepiers and Garden House, Hadlow Down

Description: Shepherds Hill Including Terracing, Steps, Gatepiers and Garden House

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 26 November 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 296250

OS Grid Reference: TQ5154822217
OS Grid Coordinates: 551548, 122217
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9794, 0.1575

Location: Pound Lane, Buxted, East Sussex TN22 4PX

Locality: Hadlow Down
Local Authority: Wealden District Council
County: East Sussex
Country: England
Postcode: TN22 4PX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Hadlow Down, East Sussex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

In the entry for:


TQ52 SW 27/615 26.11.53 Shepherd's Hill


The entry shall be amended to read:

TQ52 SW 27/615 Shepherds Hill
including terracing,
26.11.53 steps, gatepiers and
Garden House
the grade and description shall be amended
II* (star)

House including terracing, steps, gatepiers and garden House. C18 farmhouse
core extensively remodelled by Edward Maufe who lived here between 1926 and
1974. Exterior of red brick in flemish bond with some grey headers. Tiled
roof with end brick chimneystacks and brick modillion cornice. 2 parallel ranges
with projecting full height extrance porch to north west and later C20 1 storey
addition to north east. 2 to 3 storeys, 4 windows. Entrance front to north
west has 3 sashes to original part of the house, 12 pane sashes to 1st floor
the left hand are having a heraldic pane and very tall 18 pane cambered sashes
to ground floor with concrete keystones. Full height porch to left has 1
12 pane sash to 1st floor and c1926 stone moulded door surround with Eric Gill
Sculpture above. This bears a shield with 2 ravens, a lion and figure of a
man, woman and child with a row of shells (Maufe's emblem), and the motto
EX FORTE DULCEDO. Large C20 panelled door with bronze fittings and antique
door knocker in shape of a hand from Italy. Rainwater head has scroll and letter
M. South west elevation has 3 sashes including 2 elongated sashes with 16 panes
to lounge and a tall 15 pane sash to dining room. Garden front to south east
has 4 windows, 3 12 pane sashes in moulded surrounds to 1st floor and casement
with stone keystone with carving in style of Eric Gill to right. Ground floor
has 1 tall 15 pane sash lighting dining room and 4 pane sash to kitchen. Early
C20 stone doorcase in classical style with pediment and door with 12 panes and
panelled base. Projecting early C20 extension to ground floor right (extended
late C20) with half glazed door in cambered surround. North east elevation
is of 2 storeys with 2 6 pane sashes to 2nd floor, 2 12 pane sashes to 1st floor
and central oval window and 2 small sashes to ground floor. Late C20 1 storey
and attic extension. Entrance hall has round headed alcove, concrete cornice
and early C20 oak well staircase with turned balusters. Double doors of a
characteristic pattern lead into the lounge. This has a large coved soffit
supporting the staircase above and an elaborate concrete keystone concealing
a light fitting. Wooden built-in bookcases each side of double doors. Ceiling
has 2 beams supported on stepped corbels and fluted cornice. Original Maufe
fireplace has been replaced by an C18 Irish Georgian marble fireplace with urn
and swag panel. Large lined oak floorboards: Double doors lead to dining room
which has a travertine marble floor and 2 shell niches with bookcases below
and stepped wood and stone fire surround to right and similar shaped cupboard
to left. Opposite end has 3 steps and aluminium 5 shaped handrail leading to
round-headed opening in which was originally displayed an Eric Gill Sculpture.
Kitchen has chamfered axial beam, large bressumer with lamb's tongue stop and
plank doors remaining from C18 farmhouse. Attached to south west is a stone
terrace with low stone walls. To the north west this becomes a brick screen
wall about 10 feet in height incorporating 3 round-headed arches with keystone
and impost blocks and a series of steps to a lower level with a semi-circular
pond. Attached to the north east is a low stone wall which incorporates a flight
of steps with an iron handrail incorporating 2 cherubs, the letter M and a shell.
This leads to 2 early C20 brick gatepiers with stone bases and tops and early
C20 Summerhouse. This is of 1 storey brick with tiled roof and modillion cornice.
Doorcase has pegged architrave and glazed door with 12 panels. 2 15 pane sash
windows and, 1x8 pane sash window.

(See 'The Brick Builder' September 1932, 'Country Life' October 9 1975).


Shepherd's Hill
TQ 52 SW 27/615 26.11.53
C18. Two storeys. Four window. Red brick and grey headers. Modillion
eaves cornice. Tiled roof. Window with glazing bars, and keystones over
those on ground floor. Doorway with pediment over.

Listing NGR: TQ5154822217

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.