Church of St Michael, Southwick
Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 19 July 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 297346
OS Grid Reference: TQ2393405402
OS Grid Coordinates: 523934, 105402
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8349, -0.2414
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SOUTHWICK CHURCH LANE
TQ 20 NW
3/65 (south side)
19.7.50 Church of St Michael
Church. C12 and C13, 1835 by John Garret. Rebuilt in 1949 by John Denman. Coursed
and uncoursed cobblestone with plain tiled and pantiled roofs. Tower with side
vestries, nave with south porch, and aisles, chancel. Three stage tower and shingled
broach spire. First stage reputed to be Saxon, with flanking round-ended vestries of
1949. Renewed round-headed west door with recessed arches on piers. Second stage
with wide paired round-headed arches on columns. Third stage with narrow, very tall
lancets and round-openings above. Four bay nave of 1835, with simple tripartite
lancets. Chancel with much renewed C13 lancets Interior: screen, C14, wood narrow
bays. Monument: cartouche, Elizabeth Gray, d. 1745. Tower taken down as a result of
bomb damage in 1941.
Listing NGR: TQ2393405402
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.