Description: Numbers 11 and 12 Including Attached Wall to Number 11 and Summerhouses in Garden of Number 11
Date Listed: 17 March 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 298118
OS Grid Reference: TQ1718830425
OS Grid Coordinates: 517188, 130425
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0612, -0.3291
TQ1730 THE CAUSEWAY
1/4 Numbers 11 and 12,
17.3:52 including attached wall
to number 11 and Summerhouse
In garden of number 11
Built as two separate houses, later united and currently two properties. The rear range ( part of no 11) is a 3 bay former open hall house of c1500 and the right hand part of the front range (no 12) a house of c1650 with crosswing and cellar combined with the rear range c1770,linked with an C18 framed building possibly a cloth store (part of no 11) and refurbished c1890 and c1968. The whole now forms an L-shape. Timber framed building with close-studding with jetty visible at the front of no 12, no 11 weatherboarded on the first floor and stuccoed on the ground floor. Rear elevation hung with two courses of alternate plain and pointed tiles. Horsham stone slab roof with C17 ribbed brick chimneystack to no 11 and C19 brick chimneystack to no 12. Two storeys and attics to south; 3 windows. Front has mostly C18 12-pane sashes with one tripartite sash and two storey canted bay to south. Three gables, south gable projecting, with moulded bargeboards. No 12 has half-glazed door and no 11 4-panelled door flanked by sidelights. C20 garage doors to no 11. Rear elevation has fretted bargeboards and late C19 windows with some square bays. Some original glass survives. Attached C19 brick wall to no 12 along Morth Gardens has at the top C19 decorative ironwork with elaborate intertwined foliage. No 11 has central open fireplace with bressumer of c1650, preserved wattle and daub panel, a fireplace to the rear of 1770 with smoke-blackened rafters above former open hall. Potting sheds and gazebos. Two linked summerhouses, the western one probably c1885 and the eastern c1780 in Picturesque Gothic style, originally linked by greenhouses and acting as combined gazebos and potting sheds. Western building of one storey and attics hung with alternate two courses of plain brown tiles and curved red tiles identical to rear of no 12. Tiled roof, also in alternate bands of plain and curved tiles with one brick chimneystack. Right side projecting gable with fretted bargeboards with finial and pendant, oculus to attic, three pointed arched windows and one pointed arched doorcase with half-glazed door. This linked by a brick wall to a taller narrower eastern building of red brick with some grey headers to the side elevation and polychrome brick dressings. Tiled roof with alternate courses of plain and curved tiles. Two storeys; 2 windows. Gable with fretted bargeboards, finial and pendant and blank oculus. Joined pivoting casements to first floor. Ground floor has lancets and central plank door. Unusually elaborate dual purpose garden buildings.
Listing NGR: TQ1718830425
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.