Description: Churchyard and Vicarage Wall and Gate Piers
Date Listed: 26 July 1974
English Heritage Building ID: 298127
OS Grid Reference: TQ1709930311
OS Grid Coordinates: 517099, 130311
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0602, -0.3304
Vicarage Wall &
TQ 1730 1/12A
At south end of Causeway are 2 large churchyard gate-piers (now without gates).
The piers have moulded bases, rusticated panels and entablatures bearing 2 cast-iron
lamps (that to west pier is now missing). Also 2 cast-iron columns, one fluted,
guard the pedestrian entrance to the churchyard. From the east gate-pier of the
churchyard a stone wall runs north-east enclosing the open
spaces around the church, and providing continuity between the buildings in the
Causeway and the church. The wall is of random stone with dressed stone cappings.
Probably C19. 2 pairs of gatepiers remain with square stone cappings, some with
gabled tops containing trefoils, and all with moulded plinths.
All the listed buildings in The Causeway form a very important group with all the
listed buildings in Market Square and with South Street.
Listing NGR: TQ1710130312
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.