If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Bulls House
Date Listed: 22 September 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 299172
OS Grid Reference: TQ2119322055
OS Grid Coordinates: 521193, 122055
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9852, -0.2748
Explore more of the area around Cowfold, West Sussex at Explore Britain.
965/26/578 HENFIELD ROAD
22-SEP-59 Bulls House
(Formerly listed as:
BULLS BRIDGE HOUSE)
(Formerly listed as:
BULLS BRIDGE COTTAGES)
House, later subdivided but now again in one ownership. The eastern part is of date circa 1600, divided into two cottages in the C18. The western part was built in the 1960s and is not of special interest.
MATERIALS: The eastern part is timber framed with red brick infilling but the south end is of brick and the north end elevation is rendered with tile-hanging above. Tile roof, half-hipped to the south and gabled to the north with an end brick chimneystack to the north and catslide roof to the rear. Two storeys: six irregularly-spaced windows.
PLAN: Originally a two bay end chimneystack house with a heated room on each floor, later adapted into two cottages.
EXTERIOR: The east or entrance front has exposed box framing with midrail and brick infill of various periods, including C17 two inch bricks, C18 or early C19 stretcher bond brickwork and some C20 patchiing. Six first floor windows, comprising two early C20 casements with glazing bars to the upper part only and four 1960s bottom opening casements. The ground floor has two early C20 casements and a 1960s window and two C20 plank door, the left hand one adapted into a window. The north side is of brickwork and the south side is rendered on the ground floor and hung with C20 tiles above with a first floor 1960s casement and plain doorcase below. The west or rear elevation has some brickwork visible in the corner, but the south end wall of the catslide has been removed to form a loggia and the remainder of this front is concealed by a large 1960s two storey western range, the link block including main entrance weatherboarded to the ground floor and weatherboarded above with roof sloping to the east with casement windows. The 1960s extension is not of special interest.
INTERIOR: The ground floor of the original east wing has a northern room with an open fireplace with wooden bressumer, spice hole and a wooden gun rack. A plank door to the east probably led originally to a staircase. there is an axial beam and exposed floor joists. The upper floor retains much exposed wall frame with midrail, internal partition, jowled posts and a queenpost roof. There were further plank doors on the upper floor.
HISTORY: A circa 1600 house adapted into two cottages in the C18. Both Bulls House and Bulls Bridge House are shown on the 1891 Ordnance Survey map. In 1959 a building called Bulls Bridge Cottages was listed grade II. In the 1960s this building which was two cottages, nos 1 and 2 Bulls Bridge Cottages, came into one ownership, a large modern extension was built on to the west side of the cottages and the name changed to Bulls House.
STATEMENT OF IMPORTANCE: A timber framed house of circa 1600 with the timber frame surviving substantially intact, and for this survival of pre-1700 fabric, the house has special architectural interest. The original plan form of a two bay end chimneystack house is readable, with open fireplace to the ground floor and heated chamber above, and the position of the plank door to the east of the fireplace indicates the position of the original staircase. Much of the frame is visible internally with further joinery details including C17 plank doors and a gunrack. The later subdivision into two cottages is shown externally by the survival of two doors on the east side. The 1960s extension is not of special interest.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.