If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Date Listed: 28 October 1957
English Heritage Building ID: 302805
OS Grid Reference: TQ2566020037
OS Grid Coordinates: 525660, 120037
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9661, -0.2119
Explore more of the area around Twineham, West Sussex at Explore Britain.
1144/15/162 TWINEHAM LANE
(Formerly listed as:
House, formerly farmhouse. The main range is an early C15 open hall with west late C15 solar wing. In the C16 the open hall was ceiled over and a chimneystack replaced an earlier smoke bay. The building was restored in the 1920s and late 1940s with the addition of porches to the north wing and east side which are not of special interest. The late C20 conservatory to the south west is also not of special interest.
MATERIALS: Timber framed with brick or plastered infill with Horsham stone slab roof, gabled except for the east end, which is half-hipped, and tall off central brick chimneystack and external brick chimneystack.
PLAN: Originally a rectangular plan of two bay open hall with two storey west solar and east service wing. A later C15 two bay solar L-wing was added to the west (half since removed), the service wing extended by one short bay and a lean-to extension added to the eastern part of the south side. The open hall was ceiled over in the late C16 and a chimneystack inserted, replacing an earlier smoke bay.
EXTERIOR: The north side of the main house has exposed timberframing, mainly box framing but some close-studding to the ground floor of the eastern service bay. The irregular fenestration is mainly of C20 casements with diamond leaded panes but there is an earlier projecting first floor triple casement to the left of the doorcase with moulded base, supported on a carved bracket. The doorcase to the left of the chimneystack is of durns with a C20 plank door. The east end first floor and attic storey has late C16 or early C17 box framing but the ground floor has earlier close-studding. The south side has two C20 casement windows but further east is a catslide roof down to the ground floor, which has further C20 casements. The west side has jowled corner posts and sawn through curved downbraces, the bottoms removed to insert late C16 box framing but some close-studding survives on the ground floor. The late C15 projecting western solar wing has exposed timberframing with red brick infill. The east side has two first floor tension braces and some close-studding to the ground floor. The west side is separately framed from the original house and it has some C16 brickwork and a small external brick chimneystack. The north gable has jowled end posts but a further bay was demolished.
INTERIOR: The ground floor eastern end retains C15 ceiling beams and the service end and the east end wall of the former open hall have a series of pargetted wattle and daub panels with various combed motifs. The two ground floor rooms, formerly the open hall, have C16 stop chamfered spine beams and floor joists. The eastern hall bay has a ten foot wide open fireplace with wooden bressumer and narrow brickwork with spice holes and circular breadoven. The western hall bay has an eight feet wide open parlour fireplace with wooden bressumer and stone and brick surround. The west wall has a late C16 plank and muntin screen. The west or solar end has ceiling beams of square section. The east side and solar wing have C17 or C18 wooden winder staircases with central newel posts, the attic stair on the east side now blocked. There is no direct communication between the east and west upper floors. The first floor main range and west solar wing are separately framed. The north solar wing has an arched brace and two crownposts of square section, with head braces to the southern one and there are original floorboards. Over the former open hall are further square section crown posts with head braces and downbraces. The western bay has a wide studded plank door on pintle hinges. There is a late C16 or early C17 fireplace with wooden bressumer and brick surround in the eastern bay of the former open hall. Smoke blackening and reused original rafters are reported to the roof structure.
HISTORY: The building dates from the early C15 and was originally was an open hall which had a later C15 solar wing added to the east. According to the Victoria County History Slipe was owned in the C16 by the family of Pycombe and during the whole of the C17 by the Agates, although actually occupied from at least 1665 by James Cripps. In 1714 it passed to James Wood of Hickstead and belonged to the Hickstead estate.
SOURCES: Victoria County History. Sussex. Volume 7. L F Salzman (editor) 1940. p. 186-191.
Nairn and Pevsner "Buildings of England. Sussex" 1965. p. 614.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
Slipe, Twineham Lane, Twineham is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reason:
* it is of more than special interest because it has a substantially intact timber frame of early C15, late C15 and C16 date including box framing and close-studding, a complete Horsham stone slab roof and durns to the main entrance.
* the interior has an exceptional number of pargetted wattle and daub panels, a plank and muntin screen, winder staircases and two crownpost roofs, one early C15 and one late C15.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.