Description: Kepier Grammer School
Date Listed: 26 April 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 303177
OS Grid Reference: NZ3424749885
OS Grid Coordinates: 434247, 549885
Latitude/Longitude: 54.8426, -1.4682
NZ34NW HOUGHTON-LE-SPRING CHURCH STREET (north side)
26.4.50 Kepier Grammar School
Grammar School, now parish rooms and 2 flats. C18 incorporating C16 building.
Limestone and sandstone rubble with some quoins; roof concrete tiles.
L-shaped.2 storeys, 11 bays and 3 bays set back in right return. West
elevation : 2 sashes with glazing bars; then 5 bays having central projecting
gable to street flanked by modern sashes at ground floor and casements at first
to the left, one modern sash and one horizontal sliding sash under casements
at right. Gable to street contains 4-panelled double door under oblong
fanlight in architrave beneath inscription (commemorating founding in 1574)
dated 1724, inserted cusped lancet window, with head-stopped drip mould,
and 2 blocked-in square lights, in right return. Quoins to these 5 bays.
Then 3 bays with a 5-panelled door in flat Tuscan doorcase at left and
sash windows; and gable to street having one sash and inscription recording
repairs and additions in 1779. Roof has 2 end brick chimneys and 3 transverse
ridge brick chimneys. Historical note : founded by Bernard Gilpin, rector
of Houghton and John Heath of Kepyer.
Listing NGR: NZ3424949878
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.