Description: Davenport and Lilburne Almshouses
Date Listed: 26 April 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 303178
OS Grid Reference: NZ3425249831
OS Grid Coordinates: 434252, 549831
Latitude/Longitude: 54.8421, -1.4682
NZ34NW HOUGHTON-LE-SPRING CHURCH STREET (north side)
Davenport and Lilburne
Almshouses, now 3 separate dwellings. Dated 1668, restored c.1978. Coursed
squared sandstone; roof pantiled. E-plan: one cottage flanked by 2 cottages.
One storey, 5 bays. Central door under flattened Tudor arch in stop-chamfered
surround with triangular-stopped label mould; either side are 3-light
mullioned windows with similar moulds. Returns to street have door in angle
and one 3-light window; gables to street have 3-light window:all similar
to central house. Gable peaks contain inscriptions and shields: the north
commemorating George Lilburn's building of half of the hospital in 1668,
the south an endowment from the Reverend William Sharp. Flat stone gable
coping and one transverse ridge chimney on each return.
Listing NGR: NZ3425249831
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.