Description: Church of St Matthew
Date Listed: 15 July 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 303197
OS Grid Reference: NZ3398051569
OS Grid Coordinates: 433980, 551569
Latitude/Longitude: 54.8578, -1.4722
NZ35SW HOUGHTON-LE-SPRING FRONT STREET (north side)
Church of St. Matthew.
Parish church. 1885-6 by Oliver and Leeson of Newcastle; porch 1888. Rock-
faced sandstone; Welsh slate roof. Nave with south porch, north and south
double transepts, apsed chancel. Early English style.4-bay nave has groups of
3 lancets; paired lancets in each transept gable; paired lancets in 3-bay
chancel and 3-sided apse; south porch has cusped arch with niche over. Roofs
high-pitched; fiat stone coping at east end of nave; small slate-covered fleche
over crossing has gablets over alternate louvres in the octagonal belfry;
cross-finials of stone at west, iron at east and on fleche. Interior plain
apart from west window: first World War memorial (in 3 paired lancets) depicts
the Call of Matthew, the Transfiguration and the Raising of the Widow's Son.
Other stained glass includes two windows in the north transept which came from
the previous church on the site (built in 1850 and demolished to make way for
the present building).
Source: C.W. English, Diocese of Durham: Parish Church of St. Matthew,
Newbottle Centenary 1850 - 1950. Manchester 1950.
Listing NGR: NZ3398051569
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.