Description: Church of Our Blessed Lady Immaculate and Presbytery Adjoining
Date Listed: 15 July 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 303244
OS Grid Reference: NZ3082256651
OS Grid Coordinates: 430822, 556651
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9036, -1.5208
NZ35NW WASHINGTON VILLAGE LANE (south Side)
Church of Our Blessed Lady
Immaculate and Presbytery
R.C. parish church. 1877-8 by A.M. Dunn of Newcastle. Rock-faced snecked
sandstone; roof of plain tiles. 3-bay aisled nave continuous with one-bay apsed
chancel; south transept with gable belfry; Low north porch to chancel. Early
English style. 2-light windows to nave, one single lancet and 2 pairs to aisles.
2 doors, in western bays of aisles, are flanked by coped gabled buttresses
containing niches. West front: paired lancets in aisles and 4-light nave window
with strings and central buttress. 3 paired lancets in straight-sided apse.
High-pitched roof has iron cross finial at west and stone at east ends. 1-storey
link to presbytery near south transept: similar materials. 2 storeys; T-plan.
Gothic style with decorated windows and ornamental bargeboards. One coped
transverse ridge chimney.
Listing NGR: NZ3082256651
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.