Description: Church of St John the Evangelist
Date Listed: 27 February 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 303257
OS Grid Reference: NZ2793070992
OS Grid Coordinates: 427930, 570992
Latitude/Longitude: 55.0327, -1.5646
LONGBENTON WEST LANE (north side, off)
NZ 27 SE
Church of St. John the
Parish church. 1869 by E. Bassett Keeling. Sandstone, coursed and squared, with
bands of red sandstone; rendered north nave wall. Welsh slate roof with stone
copings. Nave and chancel with continuous shorter south aisle; 3-sided apse.
West door in aisle has nook shafts and 2-centred arch under high pointed dripmould.
2-centred arches and red impost bands to cusped lancets, paired in clerestory;
plate tracery to larger west and east windows. Crescents carved in coping of
buttresses, clasping to nave and aisle. Interior: brick with ashlar dressings;
rendered blind north arcade; ashlar lower section to chancel and plaster above.
Scissor-braced roof. Stiff-leaf arcade capitals; bracketed shafts to moulded
chancel arch and blind arch in north chancel wall. Priest's door under high
pointed crocketed hood-mould. Stencilled decoration to chancel roof. Chancel
floor of tiles and Frosterley marble contains brass memorial to first vicar,
J. S. Blair, died 1890. Historical note: the crescent is the emblem of the Dukes
Listing NGR: NZ2793070992
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.