Description: Church of Holy Saviour
Date Listed: 24 October 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 303298
OS Grid Reference: NZ3647369612
OS Grid Coordinates: 436473, 569612
Latitude/Longitude: 55.0197, -1.4311
TYNEMOUTH CROSS WAY (east side)
NZ 36 NE
Church of Holy Saviour
Parish church. 1839 to 41 by John and Benjamin Green for Duke of Northumberland;
chancel 1884; C20 west porch. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth,
dressings and buttresses; snecked sandstone vestry; ashlar west porch. Welsh
slate roof has stone gable coping. West tower; nave with transepts; chancel with
north vestry and porch, south organ chamber now Lady chapel. Perpendicular style.
Truncated tower has one-storey porch under 3-light window; slit windows in upper
stages under 2-centred-arched belfry openings; tall buttresses with offsets;
battlemented parapet. 4-bay nave has 2-light windows, eaves string and coped
parapet; 3-light transept windows; lancets to chancel; 4-light cusped east window
has drip mould with foliage stops. Diagonal buttresses to nave, transepts and
chancel. Moulded kneelers; cross finial to chancel. Interior: plastered above
moulded painted plaster dado; chamfered arches to transepts, chancel and Lady
chapel. Gothic-traceried hammer-beam nave roof; low-pitched king-post roof to
chancel. Stencilled decoration on nave frieze. Panelled reredos and chancel
fittings by W. S. Hicks. Glass by Powell Bros. of Leeds in south nave; Powell,
Whitefriars, London, in north transept; by T.F. Curtis of Ward and Hughes, London, in
north nave; by Ward and Hughes in south chancel; by H.A. Payne in south chancel;
by Wailes (and Strang) in north nave; by L.C. Evetts in south transept.
Good quality anonymous glass in east windows of transept.
Listing NGR: NZ3647369612
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.