Description: Salvation Army Citadel (Scotch Church)
Date Listed: 19 February 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 303328
OS Grid Reference: NZ3562868395
OS Grid Coordinates: 435628, 568395
Latitude/Longitude: 55.0088, -1.4444
TYNEMOUTH HOWARD STREET (west side)
NZ 3568 SE
Salvation Army Citadel
Non-conformist church, now Salvation Army Citadel. 1811 by John Dobson for
seccessionist church. Sandstone ashlar; graduated slate roof. Greek Doric style
One storey and attic; 3 bays. Central half-glazed double door and large over-
light flanked by narrow windows and pilasters to frieze with bull's head
ornament. Similar ornament to bracketed canopies of windows in side bays and to
central tripartite attic window, all with renewed glazing. Large capitals to
pilasters defining bays. Complete entablature; plain pilasters define attic
bays and raised central parapet with ramped sides. Ground floor sill band.
Historical note: built for a church established 1759 by the Rev. Joseph
Wilkinson; known as the Scotch Church because by deed the Minister had to be
a licentiate of the Church of Scotland.
Listing NGR: NZ3562868395
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.