Description: Locks and Lock Gates in Albert Edward Dock
Date Listed: 19 February 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 303338
OS Grid Reference: NZ3523966965
OS Grid Coordinates: 435239, 566965
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9960, -1.4507
TYNEMOUTH HOWDON ROAD (south side, off)
NZ 36 NE
8/93 Locks and Lock gates in Albert
Lock walls and gates. 1882 for Tyne Improvement Commissioners by Ure and Messent.
Walls sandstone ashlar; iron gates. 4 lock walls with curved nosing at entrance to
dock; curved recesses for gate machinery. Western lock has 2 pairs of gates c.25
metres apart, the eastern lock 2 pairs c.4 metres apart. Historical note: the
Coble Dene dock was renamed after its opening by Prince Albert-Edward. Source:
R.W. Johnson, The Making of the Tyne, 1895 pp 108-12.
Listing NGR: NZ3521866997
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.