Description: Outpatients Building of Victoria Jubilee Infirmary
Date Listed: 9 December 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 303436
OS Grid Reference: NZ3483068525
OS Grid Coordinates: 434830, 568525
Latitude/Longitude: 55.0101, -1.4569
1022/7/181 HAWKEY'S LANE
09-DEC-87 NORTH SHIELDS
OUTPATIENTS BUILDING OF VICTORIA JUBIL
Hospital outpatient wing. 1932. Designed by Cackett, Burns, Dick & Mackellar, and built by Ball Brothers of North Shields. Brown brick with dressings of red brick and Portland stone. Graduated Lakeland slate roof with copper stack cone. One tall storey, 3 bays and lower set-back flat-roofed right bay with canted ends. Plinth; part-opening casements, with glazing bars and radial heads, in stone jambs and console-keyed archivolts; impost string continued into end bay; brick apron panels between full-length jambs. Square-headed smaller similar window in end bay. Deep, moulded eaves cornice. Hipped roof has central stack with band and cornice, conical swept cap. Coped parapet to right bay. The building is entered through a panelled double door in the left return, in stone architrave.
Included for historical interest.
This building was erected by a bequest of ?15,000 from Mrs Wilson of Easby House, North Shields, and it was opened in September 1932.
Left covered way, small extension and link to main hospital are altered and not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ3483068525
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.