Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 26 February 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 303667
OS Grid Reference: NZ3858262357
OS Grid Coordinates: 438582, 562357
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9544, -1.3991
NZ 36 SE BOLDON CLEADON LANE (south side)
Church of All Saints
Parish church. 1869 by R J Johnson, south aisle 1907. Snecked limestone rubble
with sandstone ashlar quoins and dressings, high-pitched roofs of Welsh slate with
stone coping to nave and aisle, in Early English style. Nave with south aisle and
south porch, chancel with 3-sided apse, north transept. 2 windows of 3 lights in
nave and aisle; south door in chamfered opening between recessed columns on
plinths, with drip mould; 2 buttresses to aisle. Transept has a 2-light window in
the gable and an east door with flower stops to a drip-mould. Roof has stone
cross finial at west, iron at east; above the chancel a hexagonal timber bellcote
with Welsh slate spirelet and iron finial; chimney at the transept gable.
Interior: south arcade of 2 wide bays, paintings of Garden of Gethsemane by
J Eadie Read of Newcastle c.1914 in spandrels; apse paintings of Christ on the
Cross and Christ in Majesty by Michael Hoare of Folkestone in 1967; 2-light west
window war memorial by L C Evetts of Newcastle in 1948.
Listing NGR: NZ3858262357
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.