Description: Church of St Mary and St Thomas Aquinas and Prebytery Adjoining
Date Listed: 18 November 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 303794
OS Grid Reference: NZ1720963991
OS Grid Coordinates: 417209, 563991
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9702, -1.7327
NZ 16 SE BLAYDON STELLA ROAD
4/27 Church of St. Mary and
St. Thomas Aquinas and
R.C. church and presbytery. 1831 - 2 by John Green; 1848 - 9, porch, chancel
and fleche by Dobson. Church: coursed squared sandstone with plinth and ashlar
dressings; roof Westmorland slate with stone gable copings. Aligned north-south.
Nave and chancel. 6-bay nave has alternate block jambs and sloping sills to
lancet windows; gabled buttresses between. In second bay steeply-gabled porch
with elaborate doorway. Above porch a 3-mouchettes window. Chancel has 3
lancets and stepped buttresses. Cross finials to low-pitched roof of nave
and steeply-pitched of chancel. Octagonal stone belfry over chancel arch has
weather vane finial to spirelet. Interior: deep splays to lancets; pointed
chancel arch with dog-tooth on shafted columns with foliage capitals. Chancel
has sedilia on south, seat in imitation of wall tomb on north. Gothic revival
altar, and wood communion rail. Glass in the first north bay of nave, in
memory of Thomas Parker, priest, died 1847. Other good Victorian glass, also
Presbytery attached to north: sandstone ashlar; roof concealed by parapet.
Perpendicular style. 3 storeys, 5 windows x 2. North elevation of one, 3 and
one windows has central projecting bay and corner turret. Central pointed-arched
door between shafts recessed in flat-headed surround, with mouchettes in
spandrels under label mould; above this a 3-light transomed window between
bracketed niches under label moulds; ogee-headed niches in gable peak.
Flanking recessed bays have 2-light windows; square turrets one-light sash
window with stone mullions. Roof: high central ridge flanked by 2 low ledges.
Interior: turrets provide corner cupboards; some Gothick, some 3-over-3-panelled
doors; blocked door on second landing formerly communicated with organ loft
Listing NGR: NZ1720963991
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.