Date Listed: 18 September 1975
English Heritage Building ID: 303796
OS Grid Reference: NZ1769563513
OS Grid Coordinates: 417695, 563513
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9659, -1.7251
NZ 16 SE BLAYDON SUMMERHILL
Summerhouse. By 1750. For Sir Thomas Clavering. Flemish bond brick octagonal
tower with sandstone dressing on square rubble base with ashlar coping.
Square base broached to an octagonal top with cyma moulding. Door in north
side under flat stone lintel. Blocked window openings, on north, south, east
and west of the tower, have sills and bracketed cornices under round stone
arches. Alternate bays contain round-headed brick panels with sills and
moulded impost blocks. Stilted roundheaded arches above openings. Cyma-
moulded cornice. Dome seen in old engraving now missing. Interior shows
fireplace on south-west panel. Historical note: the house to which this
belonged was Stella Hall, now demolished. A 1755 inventory gives description
of furniture in the "Mount" which appears to be this building. Empty and
disused at time of survey.
Listing NGR: NZ1769563513
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.