Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 1 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 303837
OS Grid Reference: NZ2528357908
OS Grid Coordinates: 425283, 557908
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9152, -1.6071
NZ 25 NE LAMESLEY LAMESLEY
12/71 Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. 1758 rebuilding on site of mediaeval church;
1821 addition of aisles and west tower. Coursed squared standstone with
ashlar dressings; galletting to chancel south wall. Welsh slate roof
with stone gable coping. West tower; nave; chancel with north porch and
vestry. Gothick style. Tower has north door; 3-light west window with
head-stopped drip mould under clock and 2 - light belfry openings.
Battlements to tower and to taller octagonal stair turret with slit windows.
Cyma-moulded high sloping plinth to aisles; cusped arches to window transoms;
gabled and diagonal buttresses define 4 bays with battlemented parpapets
Blind chancel has 4-light east window. Cross finials; weather vane. Interior:
high octagonal plinth to tall quatrefoil piers supporting narrow chamfered
arcades on inner shafts; Aisle galleries, easternmost bays removed.
1884 transfer of organ from tower to porch; chancel fittings 1893 by
W. S. Hicks; 1910 chancel screen and oak panelling. Monument in white
marble (Rachel weeping for her children) to Honourable Frances Jane Liddell,
died 1823. Clock commemorates third earl of Ravensworth, died 1904. Historical
note: Liddells acquired Ravensworth in 1607; 1642 Thomas Liddell created
baronet; 1821 baronetcy re-created.
Listing NGR: NZ2528357908
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.