Description: The Rectory
Date Listed: 21 January 1949
English Heritage Building ID: 303858
OS Grid Reference: NZ1512464777
OS Grid Coordinates: 415124, 564777
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9774, -1.7652
There is also a scheduled monument, Ryton Village Cross 160m South East of Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
NZ 1564 NW RYTON THE GREEN
21.1.49 The Rectory
House, now 2 separate dwellings. Early C18, incorporating remains of
a late medieval house and with later alterations. Rainwater heads
dated 1795. Coursed squared sandstone with quoins; roof of graduated
Westmorland slate with stone gable copings. H-plan. 3 storeys, 2:5:2 windows.
East elevation: half-glazed central double door in bolection-moulded
surround under pulvinated frieze and open scrolled pediment containing
coat of arms; floating cornice above dated 1709. Half-glazed door under
oblong fanlight in first of central 5 bays; casements to other ground floor
central bays, the fifth having glazing bars. All other windows in
central block sashes with flat stone lintels, irregular block jambs and
sloping stone sills; outer bays under gables have similar windows except
bays one and 2 on ground floor which have casements with glazing bars. Inner
returns have blocked windows with stone surrounds. Cornice and coped
parapet between gables. 4 tall ashlar chimneys; south ridge, right end and
2 at rear. Interior: fielded panelling and large bolection-moulded chimney-piece
in principal room; scrolled and lugged architraves to doors leading from stair
well; stair has double spiral balusters alternating with barley-sugar balusters
and wide flat handrail. South wing: early C18 doors throughout; fragment of
stone spiral stair in rear at first floor; closed-string stair with moulded
plank rails and wide grip handrail.
Listing NGR: NZ1512464776
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.