Description: Dean Hall House
Date Listed: 18 November 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 303867
OS Grid Reference: NZ1507364691
OS Grid Coordinates: 415073, 564691
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9766, -1.7660
NZ 1564 NW RYTON VILLAGE WEST
15/101 Barmoor Lane, Ryton.
Thorpe House, The Glen,
Dean Hall House.
House, now 3 separate dwellings. 1863, incorporating mediaeval masonry from
Market House, Durham. For Charles Thorpe, Rector of Ryton 1807-1863. Coursed
squared sandstone with quoins. Steep roof of Welsh slate with stone gable
copings. H-plan, 2 storeys; 1, 3 and 1 bays. West elevation to garden: central
Norman arch, with chevron and billet moulding, flanked by moulded round headed
openings containing door at left and window at right. Nailhead decoration to
4-light round window above flanked by narrow sashes in chamfered irregular-block
surrounds. Gables either side: at left a 2-light Decorated window under a 2-light
Transitional window; trefoil in gable. At right a 3-stepped Norman window with
chevron and bobbin moulding under paired round headed sashes in chamfered
irregular-block surrounds; round indented window in gable peak. Roof has trefoil-
moulded apex to gable copings; one rear and 2 ridge tall ashlar chimneys with
conjoined plinths on cornices. Interior of Thorpe House at north has closed-
string stair with balustrade of alternate spiral and flat turned balusters and
pew-end panels; grip handrail. Sources: Newcastle Daily Journal 29 June 1862;
W. Bourn Ryton Parish (Carlisle 1896) p.38.
Listing NGR: NZ1509564687
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.