Description: Monument to British Liberty
Date Listed: 1 February 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 303872
OS Grid Reference: NZ1794859132
OS Grid Coordinates: 417948, 559132
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9266, -1.7215
NZ 15 NE WHICKHAM B6314
10/107 Monument to British
1.2.50 (Formerly listed as
Gibside Column north-east
Column. 1750-57. By Daniel Garrett until 1753; then James Paine.
Statue of British Liberty by Christopher Richardson. For George Bowes,
M.P. and coal owner. Ashlar sandstone. Tuscan column 140 feet high, on
base, has cornice supporting overhanging plinth of statue holding staff
of Maintenance and cap of Liberty in right hand. Source: Margaret Hudson:
'Column Monuments in N.E. England 1748-1838' M. Litt Thesis University of
Newcastle 1976; 'Pillar of Participation' in Country Life v. CLXV1, no.
4303, Dec. 1979, pp 2460-1.
Listing NGR: NZ1794859132
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.