Description: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Date Listed: 21 October 1949
English Heritage Building ID: 304346
OS Grid Reference: NZ1667965368
OS Grid Coordinates: 416679, 565368
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9826, -1.7409
NZ 16 NE NEWBURN CHURCH BANK (north side)
7/26 (inset) Church of St. Michael and
21 October 1949 All Angels.
Parish church. Cll tower, Norman nave and chancel with later porch and windows.
C19 clerestory. Cruciform with aisles clasping west tower; south porch.
Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; plinth to chancel, chamfered plinth
to south transept and porch; graduated Lakeland slate roof with flat stone gable copings.
Gabled porch contains panelled double door in moulded 2-centred arch under niche with
statue. 3-stage tower has blocked round-headed west door with inserted small round-
headed window; similar window above; second stage has slit opening; belfry openings
round-headed containing 2 round-arched lights and central shaft. Clasping buttresses;
pyramidal roof and weathervane. Renewed lancet windows, paired in 6-bay aisles, and
stepped 3-light east window. Round clerestory windows. Diagonal buttresses to
transepts and set-back buttresses to chancel . Interior: Plaster with ashlar
dressings above boarded dado. Round piers with waterleaf square capitals support
plain arches of north arcade; south arcade has octagonal piers, moulded capitals and
double-chamfered pointed arches. C19 arches to tower aisles and to transept; double-
chamfered chancel arch. Arch-braced collar and king post roof to nave; crown-post to
chancel. North transept refitting in 1941 as war memorial. Chancel has tomb recess
on north side. Wall monument to Thomas Longbridge of Walbottle, died 1725, on south
side; classical style with bust in broken pediment. Glass in north aisle by Ballantine
and Gardiner, Edinburgh, 1904; in south aisle commemorating the Hedley family and their
help in establishing the bishopric of Newcastle in 1882. Source: M. Hope Dodds
History of Northumberland 1930, pp 118-28.
Listing NGR: NZ1667865368
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.