Description: Whorlton Grange
Date Listed: 30 March 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 304378
OS Grid Reference: NZ1923167963
OS Grid Coordinates: 419231, 567963
Latitude/Longitude: 55.0059, -1.7009
NZ 16 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE B6324 north side off
7/630 Whorlton Grange
Planned range of farm buildings, now workshops and storage. Mid C19 (surveyed in
1849 and in situ by 1860) by John Green, for the Duke of Northumberland. Coursed
squared sandstone with ashlar quoins and dressings; Scottish slate roof.
U-shaped range with centre back wing and extruded engine house. Two storeys,
except for 1-storey stables forming part of right wing. Central barn range of
11 bays with 5 segmental-arched, rebated cart doors below, and stop-chamfered
boarded openings above, including central loft door. Side wings are more irregular
and have doors and other openings, mostly boarded, in stop-chamfered reveals.
Openings on external faces similar except for 3 wide and 1 narrow modern windows
inserted in outer face of left range. Fairly low-pitched roofs; all gable ends
coped, with down-curved kneelers. Rear elevation shows pentice to left, projecting
central wing and engine house to right. Behind this a tall square chimney of 2
stages with band, quoins, frieze, cornice and blocking course. Interior shows
2 massive stone arches between engine house and barn; plain roof trusses with
principals set into masonry, raised ties and collar beams. Other fittings mostly
Various small extensions of a temporary nature into farmyard not of interest. One-
storey detached left range of shelter sheds, now offices, is too much altered to
be of special interest.
There is no farmhouse. Whorlton Grange was formed by amalgamation and is included
as an imposing example of a planned, mechanised farm.
Listing NGR: NZ1923167963
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.