Description: Church of St Stephen
Date Listed: 14 June 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 304439
OS Grid Reference: NZ2318063227
OS Grid Coordinates: 423180, 563227
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9631, -1.6395
NZ 26 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BRUNEL TERRACE (east side)
11/134 Church of St. Stephen
Parish church, declared redundant lst January 1984. 1868 by Johnson. Snecked
sandstone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings.
Aisled nave with north-west tower and low west porch; north transept; chancel
with north aisle. Decorated style. 3-stage tower over aisle has triple belfry
openings, corbel table, and battlements with corner flying buttresses to
tall octagonal stone spire with lucarnes. West porch has shafts and label
strings to square-headed central window and flanking doors; high aisle
windows, boarded up in north and west and with bar tracery on south; larger
east window also boarded up. Steeply-pitched roofs to nave and aisles.
Interior: stripped except for alabaster memorials in memory of members of
the Cruddas family and mosaic after Holman Hunt "Light of the World" in memory
of Rev. Joseph Duncan, vicar 1901-11. Glass removed.
Listing NGR: NZ2318063227
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.