Description: Austin Friary Tower Attached to the John George Joicey Museum
Date Listed: 14 June 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 304463
OS Grid Reference: NZ2524764191
OS Grid Coordinates: 425247, 564191
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9717, -1.6071
NZ 2564 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CITY ROAD
21/158 Austin Friary Tower
14/6/54 attached to the John
George Joicey Museum.
Part of the Austin Friary. C13 and C16. Large sandstone blocks. 3 storeys,
one bay. West elevation has double-chamfered 2-centred arch with drip mould;
renewed door; irregular fenestration: small square windows on each floor.
Interior has stone newel stair; first floor south wall has double-chamfered
2-centred-arched window with tracery removed. Exterior door of studded planks
now re-used in ground floor. Ground floor contains medieval cross-slab and
effigy of knight in armour found during excavation prior to restoration.
Listing NGR: NZ2524764191
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.