Description: 1-5, Ellison Place
Date Listed: 30 March 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 304535
OS Grid Reference: NZ2514664699
OS Grid Coordinates: 425146, 564699
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9763, -1.6087
NZ 2564 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE ELLISON PLACE
17/224 Nos. 1-5 consecutive
Terrace of houses, now Polytechnic buildings, offices and surgery. Circa 1810.
English bond brick with painted ashlar plinth and dressings; Welsh slate roofs.
5 houses of 3 storeys and attics, from 5 to 3 bays. Nos. one and 2 have central
ashlar porches an classical style, that to No. one having arch, pilasters and
cornice and blocking course; No.2 has pilasters and open segmental pediment with
cornice and blocking course 6-panelled doors, double in porches, under fanlights;
doorcases to Nos. 3 and 4 have fluted necking and dentilled pediments; doorcase
removed from No. 5. Renewed sashes with wedge stone lintels; projecting stone
sills to second floor, sill bands to ground and first floors. Porch of No.1 has
plaque inscribed 'Matthew White Esq., Mayor/Joseph Atkinson Esq., Sheriffe/1692.
Interior of No.1 has Venetian stair landing window in Ionic case with arms of
Newcastle in glass. Historical note: No. one was the Mansion House of Newcastle
in the C19. No. 5 was the home of William Boutland Wilkinson, an early patentee
of reinforced concrete in the modern sense. Sources: J.M. Brown Transactions of
the Newcomen Society XXXIX; W.F. Cassie 'Early Reinforced Concrete in Newcastle
upon Tyne' Structural Engineer April 1955.
Listing NGR: NZ2514664699
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.