Description: Blackfriars East Range
Date Listed: 14 June 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 304707
OS Grid Reference: NZ2446464196
OS Grid Coordinates: 424464, 564196
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9718, -1.6194
NZ 2464 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE MONK STREET
(north side, off)
14/6/54. Blackfriars. East range.
(formerly listed as
Dominican friary, later Company halls and almshouses, now exhibition, offices and
architecture workshop. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; pantiled
roof with 2 rows of stone slates at eaves. Medieval;and C19 by M.H. Graham.
2 storeys, 5 bays. Chapter House at left has central 2-centred chamfered arch in
chamfered surround; 2 cusped lights on shafts in similar-shaped arches either side;
inserted door and balcony,and casement with flat stone lintel and sill, on first
floor (former Bakers' and Brewers' Hall). Rebuilt Fullers' and Dyers' Hall has
doors to office and stairs at right under shouldered arches; joggled lintels to
3-light casements on each floor, with relieving arch to ground floor. Small
rectangular window over doors. One bay at right has flat stone lintel to door of
Smiths' undercroft; cross window above. Interior of chapter house, down 2 steps,
has C15 grave slab(matrix for brass), attached to wall, excavated from friary
church. A scheduled ancient monument.
Listing NGR: NZ2446464196
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.