Description: Church of St Dominic
Date Listed: 17 December 1971
English Heritage Building ID: 304739
OS Grid Reference: NZ2583864477
OS Grid Coordinates: 425838, 564477
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9742, -1.5979
NZ 26 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NEW BRIDGE STREET
12/414 Church of St. Dominic
Roman Catholic Priory Church. 1869-73 by A. M. Dunn. Coursed squared sandstone
with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. Aisled nave and chancel with apse and
ambulatory/vestry. Aligned north-south, with altar at south. Ritual south-west
tower above adjacent gateway to priory yard. C13 style. West front has entrance
obscured by mid C20 porch containing re-used doors with studs and 'D' motif in
iron. Blind arcade above porch contains central gabled niche with headless
statue: large wheel window above flanked by carved symbols of Evangelists. West
buttresses, the right widened into a stair turret, have empty gabled niches.
Gatehouse at right has splayed reveals to moulded arch under dripmould; empty
niche above; blind arcade beneath hipped roof with four top gablets. Lancets in
aisles, paired on south; triple clerestory windows in bays defined by buttresses.
9 high lancets in apse. Steeply-pitched roofs. Interiors: polychrome brick above
boarded dado; ashlar dressings; painted plaster apse; collar-truss roof. 6-bay
nave and one-bay chancel have round piers with stiff-leaf capitals supporting
moulded arches; carved heads in spandrels below continuous dripmould; Frosterley
marble shafts with clasping bands to chancel and chancel aisle arches. Rere-arches
to windows. Crocketed stalls in chancel are 1826 from Peterborough Cathedral.
1879 alabaster pulpit with scenes of life of St. Dominic. Marble communion rail.
Square font on marble shafts. Patterned tiled floor in chancel. Glass by Atkinson
Bros. Newcastle in south aisle. Large painting by Dastis of St. Dominic in Lady
Listing NGR: NZ2583864477
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.