Description: Former Brady and Martin Building
Date Listed: 30 March 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 304753
OS Grid Reference: NZ2518164840
OS Grid Coordinates: 425181, 564840
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9775, -1.6081
NZ 2564 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NORTHUMBERLAND ROAD
17/426 Former Brady and Martin
building. (Formerly listed
as Newcastle Building).
Offices and warehouse, later Polytechnic building. 1890 and 1897 by W.L.Newcombe for
Brady and Martin, wholesale chemical manufacturers. Red brick with ashlar dressings;
Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys, 5 bays and right extension of 3 bays. Rusticated pilast-
ers support ground floor entablature; giant Ionic Order above has modillioned cornice.
Right extension has end pilasters to entablature. Main block has central door and
fanlight in doorcase with scrolled pediment. Ground floor oriel windows have Ipswich
glazing bars; paired sashes above have segmental pediments on first and architraves
on second floors, in both parts of the building, except for central round-headed
window in extension. Hipped roof. Empty at time of survey.
Redeveloped behind front facade.
Listing NGR: NZ2518164840
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.