Description: The Song School and Choir Vestry
Date Listed: 30 March 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 304824
OS Grid Reference: NZ2501764002
OS Grid Coordinates: 425017, 564002
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9700, -1.6107
NZ 2564 SW and NZ 2563 NW NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE ST NICHOLAS' CHURCHYARD
21/621 & 24/621 The Song School and
NZ 2564 SW and NZ 2563 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE ST. NICHOLAS' CHURCHYARD
21/621 and 24/621 Thomlinson Library
Library and vestry attached to Cathedral of St. Nicholas (q.v.), St. Nicholas' Street,
1736, perhaps by Daniel Garrett. Sandstone ashlar. Palladian style. 3 storeys, 5
bays. Rusticated ground floor has steps up to part-glazed 6-panelled door at right
in architrave with large key and flanking voussoirs: similar surrounds to ground-floor
sash windows with glazing bars, broad in that at right. First floor band; Giant Ionic
Order above defines bays containing sashes with glazing bars in lugged surrounds,
those on first floor with alternate pediments. Blocking course above entablature.
Plain iron railings and handrails on steps. Historical note: built at the expense of
Walter Blackett to contain the library bequeathed to the church by Dr. Thomlinson.
Sources: Mackenzie History of Newcastle pp.490-496; Laing Art Gallery The Tyneside
Classical Tradition (1980) p.6.
Listing NGR: NZ2501764002
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.