Description: Westgate Hall Buildings
Date Listed: 30 March 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 304934
OS Grid Reference: NZ2386864190
OS Grid Coordinates: 423868, 564190
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9718, -1.6287
NZ 2364 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE WESTGATE ROAD
18/582 Nos. 270-286 (even)
Westgate Hall Buildings.
Shops, mission hall and offices. 1900-2 by Crouch and Butler, Birmingham, as
Wesleyan Mission Hall. Rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings; roof of dark
slates with lead dome. Free Art Nouveau style. 4 storeys and attics, with 5-storey
left tower; 9 bays. Corner double door with pilasters, frieze and cartouches,
recessed in quadrant-moulded surround; rusticated floor pilasters with cartouches.
Upper floors have group of 4 two-storey round-headed windows, with long keystones
and stone mullions and transoms, flanked by 2-storey oriels in first bay and 2
right end bays. Much carved Jacobean-style ornament. Dentilled cornice; stepped
gables over round-headed windows. Corbelled-out left corner tower is octagonal
with cable-moulded bow windows. Mansard roof has finials, egg-and-dart corniced
chimneys; high octagonal dome over tower has cartouches, masks, lucarnes and
top lantern with spike-and-ball finial. Foundation stones bear names of
Methodist circuits of area and of T.H. Bainbridge, J.P., and Sir W.H. Stephenson,
J.P. Left return to Corporation Street of 3 storeys and 6 bays has high broken
segmental pediments over 3 double doors to school and hall; tall double keystones
to ground floor mullioned-and-transomed windows; upper floors in similar style to
Westgate Road front.
Listing NGR: NZ2386864190
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.