Description: The New Tyne Theatre
Date Listed: 31 May 1974
English Heritage Building ID: 304955
OS Grid Reference: NZ2436264043
OS Grid Coordinates: 424362, 564043
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9704, -1.6210
NZ 2464 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE WESTGATE ROAD
19/600 The New Tyne Theatre
31.5.74 (formerly listed as the
Stoll Picture Theatre)
Theatre and opera house, later cinema; now theatre. 1867 by W.B. Parnell for Cowan.
Bought by Oswald Stoll and opened as cinema in 1919. Italianate front of three
storeys, five bays (the outer bays narrower) in pale brick with stone dressings. Stone
cornice with long brackets, tall parapet and pediment over; small semi-circular
pediments, flanked by urns, at sides. Arcaded second floor Ground floor
modernised, Lozenge or pointed first floor window .
Painted advertisement on left return gable: THE/STOLL/TYNESIDE'S/TALKIE/THEATRE.
Interior Horse-shoe shaped auditorium with three tiers of balconies on cast iron
columns with floral capitals and long cantilever brackets. Balconies S-curved with
thick applied baroque decoration. One set of boxes at either side framed in Orders
below and by two large female terms at top stage. Shell-shaped ceiling and very high
An exceptionally complete surviving example of early stage machinery. Deep stage with
five sets of tabs, machinery and control panel. Complete switchboard for earliest
electric lighting. Very deep and high back:stage, dressing and ancillary rooms with
many period features.
Source: Mackintosh and Sell eds. Curtains!!! 1982.
Listing NGR: NZ2436264043
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.