If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Industrial Workers' Dwellings
Date Listed: 9 November 1992
English Heritage Building ID: 305011
OS Grid Reference: NZ2553064198
OS Grid Coordinates: 425530, 564198
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9718, -1.6027
NZ 2564 SE-NZ 2564 SW GARTH HEADS
Nos 1 to 60
1833-0/21/10009 Industrial workers'
Industrial workers' dwellings with shop. 1869 and extension dated
1878. By John Johnstone for the Newcastle upon Tyne Improved
Industrial Dwellings Co. Ltd., established 1869. Polychrome English
bond brick (4 and one) with painted ashlar dressings; rubble rear
gable to right return range; Welsh slate roof with stone gable coping,
brick anal rendered chimneys, and brick and wrought iron parapet. 4:5:4
storeys, 13:5:13 windows. Angle pilasters to 5-bay, 5-storey
centrepiece. Moulded segmental head to door recessed in surround with
moulded segmental stone head. Segmental panel over door, flanked by
paired moulded brackets to moulded first-floor balcony with patterned
cast iron balustrade. Paired C20 windows flanking door under wide
rendered lintels probably replace shop windows. Paired narrow sashes
on first floor have 8 panes with fine glazing bars, projecting stone
sills and shallow segmental brick arches with stone keys. Polychrome
brick impost band. Similar sashes with impost bands and keyed heads
on higher floors, paired in central bay and 12-pane in others. Fourth
floor impost band rises into two-tiered brick cornice, the lower
between the angle pilasters and the upper continuing above them
supporting elaborately-patterned cast iron roof parapet. Similar
treatment to flanking lower 13-bay blocks defined by full-height
pilasters, with 5:5:3 windows, paired above central doors of 5-bay
blocks. These doors have moulded segmental heads in stone lintels
with label moulds, which also form shallow segmental heads over narrow
long side lights (now blocked) with projecting stone sills. From the
door lintel a polychrome band continues to form impost and hood bands;
upper floors have sashes and bands similar to those in central block.
3-bay end blocks have doors in canted corner shops, the left now
blocked as is the front window, the right still a shop with 6-pane
front window under entablature partly obscured by C20 fascia. To
right of central block a roof parapet of brick has ashlar coping with
4 lowered sections, and plain wrought iron railings with bombe outer
stays. Mansard roof to 5-storey centre with 5 round-headed dormers,
the central largest one ashlar with wrought iron finial on scrolled
head containing bold date 1878 and scroll INDUSTRIAL DWELLINGS. Flat
roof to right and pitched to left flanking sections. Tall chimneys,
6 rendered tall chimneys on right flat roof, and brick to chimneys on
side eaves and ridge of central block, and 6 on left roof, all with
Left return to Tower Street has 5 windows, with segmental moulded
painted head to door to right of fourth, with flanking wide windows
removed and sashes inserted in blocking. Narrow 8-pane sashes at left
of central bay on ground floor and paired on upper floors, the central
paired. Right return is similar except for painted brickwork at left
to shop with blocked window and renewed door, to left of door with
moulded head. Rear shows projecting wings opposite doors. Rear sash
windows mostly original with fine glazing bars; some replaced with
horns. Some small C20 windows in rear wings. Upper floors have some
wrought-iron balconies with rails and bombe stays. Stone staircase
in closed stair well behind each door. Commemorative bronze plaque
in wood frame on right return elevation has inscription 'NEWCASTLE
UPON TYNE IMPROVED INDUSTRIAL DWELLINGS CO. LTD ESTABLISHED 1859' and
names original chairman, directors and shareholders; many of these
were prominent local businessmen. The building is important both for
its townscape value and as probably the earliest surviving example in
Newcastle of philanthropic housing provision for industrial workers.
The building is a significant feature in a historic setting on high
ground; immediately in front is the Keelmen's Hospital of 1701;
immediately to the south-west is the Sallyport Tower with the Ships'
Carpenters' Hall of 1716 on the medieval Town Wall. All Saints'
Church is prominent beyond the Sallyport Tower.
Listing NGR: NZ2553064198
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.