If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 1 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 305309
OS Grid Reference: SP0834560561
OS Grid Coordinates: 408345, 260561
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2432, -1.8792
There is also a scheduled monument, Medieval Settlement at Coughton Court, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Coughton, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.
1/147 Church of St. Peter
Church. Late C15 and early C16; chancel and chapels built for Sir Robert
Throckmorton and in construction in 1518. Porch c.1780. Repaired and re-roofed
1829-30. Sandstone ashlar; south aisle mainly rubble. Stair turret of brick with
ashlar dressings. Moulded stone plinths and string course. Low pitched lead
roofs with parapets. Aisled nave, chancel, north and south chapels, west tower
and south porch. Perpendicular style. 4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. 4-centred
arched doors and traceried windows. Tower in 2 stages, with double plinth and
angle and diagonal buttresses. West doorway has hollow chamfered jambs and arch
under straight head, and original double-leaf oak doors with moulded stiles and
rails. 3-light west window, and small rectangular window above. String course.
Bell stage has square-headed openings of 2 trefoiled lights and relieving
arches. Embattled parapet with C17 or C18 pinnacles. Gothick south porch with
ogee arch. South doorway with hollow-chamfered jambs and early C19 six-panelled
door. Aisles, chapels and chancel have diagonal and side buttresses throughout.
Aisles each have two 3-light windows and 3-light west windows. South aisle has
trefoiled lights; north aisle has cinqfoiled lights and wider openings. North
aisle has north-west door, blocked inside with spandrels carved with a human
head and foliage. Nave clerestory of four 3-light windows with square heads and
hood moulds and cinqfoiled lights. North and south chapels each have two 3-light
windows and small door, and square-headed 4-light east windows, all with
uncusped lights. South chapel has ribbed door, north chapel has linenfold panel
door, blocked inside, and semi-octagonal stair turret. Chancel has 5-light east
window with cinqfoiled lights. Interior: Nave has 4-bay arcade with
hollow-chamfered piers and arches. 2-centred tower arch of 1890, Nave and
chancel have Perpendicular timber roofs of 1829-30. Chancel arch and chapel
arcades of 4 half-shafts, and 2-centred arches with 2 wave mouldings. Chancel
and chapels have late C17 paving of alternating black and white diagonally-set
flagstones. Chapels and aisles have lean-to roofs. Fittings: C13 (VCH) font,
originally square but cut to octagon with 4 incised crosses, on capitals and
bases of C15 (Buildings of England) stem, with shafts missing. Much
Perpendicular woodwork, some re-used. Chapel screens with tracery. Pulpit of
1891, but made up from traceried and linenfold panels. Stall and priests desks
with traceried fronts and linenfold backs. Panelled bench ends in nave and
aisles. Bread dole board, south aisle. Dated 1717. Enclosure of small balusters
with H-hinges, below stone tablet set in wall. Stained glass: Some early C16
glass survives chancel east window has 3 sibyls c.1530, re-set, with C17 heads.
Reset fragments and heraldic tracery. North and south chapel windows with pieces
of original glass, included small complete figures of the Apostles, Evangelists
etc. Aisles have fragments. Nave west window of 1890, attributed to Powell
(Buildings of England). Throckmorton monuments, Nave: Sir Robert d.1518, but
occupied by another Sir Robert (d.1791) Tomb chest with grey marble slab and
marble sides with rich quatrefoil panels and shields. Chancel, north-east arch:
Sir George (d.1552) and Dame Katherine. Grey marble chest tomb with panelled
sides and brasses. South east arch. Sir Robert (d.1570). Alabaster and marble
chest tomb with pilasters and panels. South; Sir John (d.1580) and wife Large
canopied alabaster monument with panelled base, effigies and 6 Corinthian
columns. North: Sir Robert (d.1862) and wife. Chest tomb with black marble lid
and brass and enamel cross. Dame Elizabeth (1547); brass inscription plate. C17
and C18 monuments and grave slabs of the Throckmorton and other families. St.
Peter's is an exceptionally complete Perpendicular church with good original
furnishings and monuments.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.III, pp.82-4; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP0834560561
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.