If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Botolph
Date Listed: 30 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 305593
OS Grid Reference: SP4338049572
OS Grid Coordinates: 443380, 249572
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1427, -1.3675
Explore more of the area around Farnborough, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.
FARNBOROUGH CHURCH LANE
16/18 Church of St. Botolph
Church. C12 origins; chancel, nave, porch and lower part of tower mainly C14;
upper part of second stage of tower 1611. Restored 1858. North aisle, bell
chamber and roof, nave roof, spire and restoration by G.G. Scott 1875. Both
restorations were carried out for the Reverend C.W. Holbech. Squared coursed
ironstone. Stone slate roofs have C19 moulded coped gable parapets with
decorated cross finials. Nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower and south porch.
Decorated style, with reticulated tracery and hood moulds with carved stops.
4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. Chancel, tower, aisle and porch have diagonal and
north and south buttresses of c,1875. Splayed cornice. Chancel has much restored
C14 three-light east and C19 two-light north-east and south-east windows. South
side has blocked chamfered ogee doorway. C14 straight-headed 2-light north-west
and south-west windows. Small blocked low side window below south-west window.
South wall has wall monument of 1638, with depressed round arch and simple Ionic
pilasters, decorated tympanum and moulded panel. Inscriptions to the Brocke
family. Porch has arch of 2 moulded orders. Wrought-iron Gothic gates of c.1875.
Small straight-headed cusped 2-light windows. Inside is straight-headed plank
door with C19 Romanesque style ironwork. C12 Romanesque doorway has unusual
moulding of alternating large and small edge-rolls; C19 zigzag arch, but C12
fish-scale tympanum. Nave south wall partly rebuilt, with re-sited C12 corbels.
C19 moulded cornice and parapet to nave and aisle. Restored C13 eastern lancet.
C14/C15 straight-headed 3-light window. Western window similar to chancel
western windows. 4-bay C14 style aisle has buttresses with 2 offsets. Sill
course. Cornice with foliage bosses and masks. 3-light east window has cusped
intersecting tracery. 2-light north and 3-light west windows. Hood moulds have
alternating foliage and head stops. Tower of 3 stages has buttresses with 2
offsets. Splayed string coursed. Renewed Tudor arch west door. 2-light window
above. Second stage has datestone, with single small chamfered light above.
North and south sides have similar 2-light windows. Third stage has large
moulded 2-light traceried openings. Moulded cornice and parapet. Gargoyles.
Recessed broach spire has lucarnes, finial and weather cock. Stair turret in
north-west angle. Door with chamfered shouldered head. Interior: chancel has
re-cut piscina below south-east window. Aumbry in east wall. Windows have rere
arches. C19 panelled wood barrel vault. Transitional style chancel arch has
re-used C12 lozenge chain moulding. Nave has arched braced king-post roof with
moulded wall pieces, braces and tie-beams, and stone corbels. Moulded tower arch
dying into imposts, with outer segmental pointed arch. C14 style arcade has
octagonal pillars with moulded bases and capitals and 2 moulded orders. Re-used
C16 Perpendicular nave roof with simply moulded timbers. Fittings: font has C19
octagonal bowl and stem, and C14 base-mould and stop. Carved oak pulpit, altar
rails, chancel stalls, pews and tower screen of c.1875. Stained glass: east
window 1856 by Wailes. South-east window 1850. Other C19 glass. Monuments: head
of an early C13 effigy. Wall monuments: chancel south: William Holbech 1717;
Georgius Lamprey, Vicar, 1724. Nave south: Jeremiah and Elizabeth Hall 1711;
cartouche with an open book. Joane Hall I650 Dorothy Ralegh 1692; Mary
Wagstaffe 1667; brass set in moulded and decorated inner and outer frames with
moulded cornice, and leaf bands; long inscription. The work of 1875 cost £4,700.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire: V.C.H. Vol.5, pp.86-87. Buildings of England:
Warwickshire: pp. 291-292. Linda Murray: St. Botolph, Farnborough: a brief
Listing NGR: SP4338049572
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.