If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Wormleighton Manor House, Wormleighton

Description: Wormleighton Manor House

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 7 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 305755

OS Grid Reference: SP4483653791
OS Grid Coordinates: 444836, 253791
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1806, -1.3457

Location: Wormleighton, Warwickshire CV47 2XH

Locality: Wormleighton
Local Authority: Stratford-on-Avon District Council
County: Warwickshire
Country: England
Postcode: CV47 2XH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Wormleighton, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP 4453 WORMLEIGHTON WORMLEIGHTON MANOR
HOUSE (Formerly listed
1195/15/179 as: Wormleighton Manor
House and Gatehouse)
07.01.52
II*

Fragment of large manor house, now farmhouse. c1512, with C17, C18 and C19 additions and alterations. Built for John Spencer. C16 and C18/C19 English bond brick and regular coursed ashlar and rubble ironstone. Tile roofs have stone coped gable parapets; stone and brick ridge, end, internal and lateral stacks. Original plan indeterminate. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 7-window range. c1512 brick left range of 2 high storeys, 4-window range. Some flared brick diaper work. Central and right end buttresses of 2 offsets. Entrance in third bay has C19 ribbed door with applied arch and 2 rows of 3 panels, with overlight and flanking panels inserted into bottom half of 3-light window. Cavetto-moulded Tudor-arched-light stone mullioned windows with transoms and hood moulds, mainly of 4 lights, with most lights blocked. On first floor C19 plank loading door inserted into bottom part of second window; hoist bracket to left. Fourth bay has blocked former 2-light window and within it a C19 three-light casement and wood lintel inserted into later doorway. To right: blocked Tudor arch doorway has remains of hood mould. Right end has 3-light C19 casement, with another above, partly in blocked opening. First floor has 4-light window. Right corner has some stone. End stacks. C18/early C19 twin gable range to right. 3-light casements, leaded on ground floor, under cambered brick arches. C19 casements have glazing bars throughout. C19/C20 sash door with glazing bars inserted into remains of 3-light mullioned window in angle. Very large external stack to right has multiple offsets. Bricked-up fire window on left. C18/CI9 brick shaft. Left return side is 2-window range. Left part projects slightly with stone coping dying back into wall above first floor. C16 Tudor-arch mullioned windows with sunk spandrels. Right part has large one-storey 4-light canted bay window with king mullion and splay sills. Tile roof. 2-light windows to left and above. 2 small gables dying into parapet between. Left gable has blind Tudor-arch with carved figure, and kneelers with finials. Irregular brickwork. Right return side has 2-light mullioned first floor window. Garden front is 6-window range; right range taller. Left end of regular coursed stone, centre of rubble, right end of early C16 brick. Large stone and brick diagonal buttress on right. Ribbed door with applied Tudor arch and 2 x 3 panels, flanking panels, and wood lintel, between first and second bays. Similar door between fourth and fifth bays has overlight. Chamfered stone Tudor arch doorway with similar door. Large mid/late C19 stone 2-light canted bay on left has large full length Tudor-arched lights with transom. Crenellated parapet. Irregular fenestration of 2 and 3-light C19 wood mullioned and transomed windows with glazing bars. First floor has 2 carved stone shields, one of the Spencer arms. C19/C20 ridge stack on left. Right range has large internal stack of thin bricks, with 4 square C19 brick shafts. INTERIOR: moulded Tudor arch door. Some moulded beams. HISTORICAL NOTE: much of the house is said to have been destroyed in the Civil War. (Sources: V.C.H.: Warwick: 1949: VolV: 218-219; Buildings of England: Warwickshire:1966: 483)



Listing NGR: SP4483653791

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.