If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 30 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 306201
OS Grid Reference: SP3681648080
OS Grid Coordinates: 436816, 248080
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1298, -1.4636
Explore more of the area around Radway, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.
RADWAY TYSOE ROAD
SP3648 (North side)
8/90 Church of St. Peter
30/05/67 (Formerly listed as in the
C.P. of Priors Marston)
Church. 1866 by C. Buckeridge. Regular coursed Hornton ironstone. Tile roofs
with cresting to chancel, aisles and organ chamber, and coped gable parapets.
Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, north organ chamber and south porch. Gothic
Revival style. 3-bay chancel, nave and aisles. Splayed plinth, angle buttresses
with 2 offsets and moulded string course with fillet at sill height throughout.
Chancel has additional moulding to plinth. 3-light east window with Intersecting
tracery: each light has a trefoil in its top with a trefoiled lancet below, and
elongated quatrefoil tracery. Hood mould with head stops. North and south sides
have eastern window of paired trefoiled lancets. South side has central
chamfered shouldered doorway with string course stepped up over it as hood
mould. Eastern trefoiled lancet. Aisles are similar. South aisle has 2-light
east window with tracery similar to chancel. South door in place of western
window. Chamfered arch and hood mould with head stops. Double-leaf door. Porch
has double splayed plinth. Doorway of 2 chamfered orders and hood mould with
head stops. Apex of gable has sexfoiled circular IHS panel. Sides have small
windows of paired trefoiled round arched lights. Interior has stone benches.
North and south sides have windows of 2 trefoiled lights in straight head with
pierced spandrel and hood mould with return stops. West windows of 2 trefoiled
lights and trefoil. North organ chamber/vestry has east window of a single
trefoiled ogee light in straight head with hood mould. 2 north windows are
smaller simpler versions of aisle windows, without hood moulds. Tower of 4
stages with string courses. West angle and north-east and south-east buttresses
with 3 offsets to 3 stages. Double splayed plinth. Second stage has west window
of 2 trefoiled lights and elongated quatrefoil. Third stage has 3 narrow
rectangular lights to 3 faces. West front has 2 badly eroded gargoyles, possibly
from previous church. Bell stage has 2-light openings to each face with plate
tracery of trefoiled lights and trefoiled circle. Moulded cornice. Broach spire
has small central gablets with trefoil openings and string courses. Interior:
chancel has piscina and recessed seat below. Arched door to vestry. String
course, stepped down below seat and up over doors. Arch to organ chamber of 2
chamfered orders and hood mould, the inner dying into the wall. Wagon roof.
Early English style chancel arch of 2 orders, the outer chamfered on shafts of
contrasting grey stone, the inner with roll mouldings to chancel and nave on
half-shaft. Hood moulds, with head stops to nave. Stiff leaf capitals and
moulded bases. Nave has 3-bay Early English style arcades of 2 chamfered orders.
Compound shafts with moulded capitals of grey stone and moulded bases.
Continuous hood moulds springing from stiff leaf corbels. To east arches die
into walls without responds; to west responds have inner order on half shaft,
outer order carried straight down to square base. Scissor brace rafter roof with
collars and ashlar pieces. Tower arch of 3 chamfered orders, outer continuous.
Inner orders have composite half-shafts and moulded bases and capitals with
nailhead ornament. North aisle has opening to organ chamber: left half of an
arch of 2 chamfered orders, the outer stilted, the inner dying into the wall.
Aisles have common rafter roofs with collars and ashlar pieces. Fittings:
reredos of white marble with granite colonnettes. 3 cinqfailed arches; stiff
leaf capitals. Encaustic tile chancel floor. Octagonal oak pulpit with panels of
2 blind trefoiled ogee arches and carved spandrels and frieze; round stone base
turning octagonal. Original pews and lectern. Stone font with lobed bowl and
composite stem. Stained glass: south aisle east window has 4 panels of C16/C17
Flemish glass; chancel south west has small fragment of glass; said to have come
from Edgehill Tower (q.v.). Chancel east and south-east windows have C19 glass.
Monuments: several from previous church. Chancel has north tomb recess with
stilted arch and mid C15 (Pevsner) effigy of a priest. Tower south wall: Henry
Kingsmill, died at Battle of Edgehill 1642. Damaged effigy in arched recess, and
fine incised slab dated 1670. Elaborate coat of arms and fine lettering. Charles
Hughes 1734. Large cartouche. Above recess Charles Chambers died 1854. Finely
carved wall monument with predella showing a naval expedition. Long detailed
inscription. Tower north wall. Sanderson Miller 1780; plain tablet. Sanderson
Miller senior: mid C18 wall monument. F.S. Miller 1817. Tablet.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.379).
Listing NGR: SP3681648080
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.