Description: Radway Grange and Attached Stable Block
Date Listed: 7 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 306210
OS Grid Reference: SP3698447992
OS Grid Coordinates: 436984, 247992
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1290, -1.4611
Explore more of the area around Radway, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.
RADWAY TYSOE ROAD
SP34NE, SP3648 (South side)
3/99, 8/99 Radway Grange and attached
07/01/52 stable block
(Formerly listed as Radway
Grange, including ruins,
obelisk, cottages and other
Country house. Late C16; alterations, additions and stable block for himself by
Sanderson Miller c.1745 onwards; additions 1923 by Percy Morley Horder.
Ironstone ashlar with moulded string courses. Stone slate roof has coped
parapets and gable parapets with finials; ashlar stacks. Formerly double-depth
plan of 2 x 2 bays, extended to complex L-plan. Gothick alterations. 2 storeys,
basement and attic; 4-window range. Projecting 2 storey additions. Left wing of
1923 has open pedimented gable. 3-light and 2-light windows. Main entrance in
right return side has moulded Tudor-arched doorway with 7-panelled door. Lower
and narrower right wing, possibly C18, has similar pedimented gable and slate
roof. Door and casement above have simple segmental arched stone surrounds.
Hollow-chamfered mullioned windows with hood moulds. Basement has 3-light window
and 2-light segmental arched casement with glazing bars in stone surround. Main
range has 4-light windows with transoms; on ground floor the outer lights are
blocked by the projecting wings. String courses stepped up over windows. 3-light
attic windows. C18 subsidiary gable to left. C18 lead rainwater heads between
main gables. Further 1923 wing on left has irregular fenestration without hood
moulds. Right return side incorporates C18 grotto, with round arched entrance.
Rock lined, with brick tunnel vault. 2-light windows above. West front: 2-window
range. Projecting central loggia by Miller. Steep central gable with moulded
panel. 3 chamfered square-headed doorways. 2 glazed panels and door with glazing
bars. South front: 3-window range. Third bay and alterations by Miller. Richly
moulded 4-centred arched doorway and doorcase with foliage carved spandrels,
frieze with shields and foliage and remains of cresting. C20 glazed door.
Heavily enriched 2-storey polygonal bays have large moulded 4-centred arched
windows with carved spandrels to front and 2 sides, mouldings and string
courses, blind arcading, first floor panels with leaf-decorated quatrefoils,
moulded cornices and frieze. C16 gables and attic windows. C18 parapet between
has moulded 8-pointed star. Fine C18 lead rainwater head. Diagonally-set square
buttress between second and third bays. Right corner has octagonal clasping
buttress. Varying string courses. Gable parapet. Remains of pinnacles
throughout. Moulded cinqfoiled 2-light windows with wood mullion, and hood
mould. Foliage carved spandrels. East front: 3 storeys: 3 bays. Centre has
diagonally-set square buttresses and steep pedimented gable. Ground floor has 3
closely-set chamfered 4-centred arches with C19 glazed central door and glazed
panels. Panelling above of moulded elongated quatrefoils. First floor has
4-centred arched sashes with Gothick glazing in moulded crocketed ogee
architraves. Close panelling above of small trefoiled lancets. Second floor has
three 2-light mullioned windows with septfoiled 4-centred lights and continuous
hood mould. Foliage frieze. Left and right bays similar to third bay of south
front. Interior: mid C18 gallery in east range has 2 screens of 3 stone arches.
C16 moulded Tudor-arched doorway. Dining Room has Gothick alcove and archway
with 4-centred arches and thin shafts. Mid C18 fireplace. Early C19 moulded
doorcase with paterae. Quarter turn back stairs have early/mid C18 turned
balusters. Enclosed straight flight staircase has fielded panelled balustrade to
landing. First floor has a Gothick traceried door. Bedroom has grey stone
Gothick fireplace with moulded Tudor arch, niches with steep crocketed gables,
and frieze. 2-,4- and 6-panelled doors. Trenched purl in roof. Stable block
attached at right angles to entrance. On right corner of 1923 wing has chamfered
4-centred arched doorway with plank door. Regular coursed ironstone with brick
dentil cornice. Tile roof has gable parapet with kneeler. 2 storeys and attic;
4-window range. 3 square headed doorways, the left blocked with C19 casements
inserted. 2-light casements with glazing bars. Blocked first floor opening.
Stone lintels with flush keystones. Gabled 2-light leaded casement dormers have
cut-out quatrefoils. Central clock in open pedimented dormer has lower
entablature with consoles. Pilaster strips and consoles support pediment. Open
octagonal lantern. Left return side has very large doorway with rusticated arch
and fielded panelled doors.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, p.142; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
pp.379-80; Country Life, Vol.C, 13 September 1946).
Listing NGR: SP3698447992
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.