If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 13 October 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 306428
OS Grid Reference: SP2096143470
OS Grid Coordinates: 420961, 243470
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0892, -1.6955
Explore more of the area around Ilmington, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.
ILMINGTON MIDDLE STREET
SP2043 (West side)
9/65 Church of St. Mary
13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish
Church of St. Mary)
Church. Mid C12 with late C12, early C13, mid C14, C15 and C16 alterations and
additions. Restored 1846, 1911 and 1936, Limestone ashlar and squared, coursed
rubble with tile roofs. Chancel with vestry to north, nave with north and south
transepts, south porch and west tower. Chancel of 2 bays has diagonal offset
buttresses and coped gable. C12, rebuilt early C13. To east a C19 four-light
window in Perpendicular style with chamfered surround and hood mould with label
stop. To south a pointed priest's doorway with moulded surround and stiff leaf
capitals. Later plank door. Hood mould with C13 carved head label stops. Similar
carved head at apex below a single pointed lancet. To left and right a
square-headed window with 2 round-headed lights each. Hollow chamfered surrounds
and hood moulds with carved label stops. To north a vestry with plinth, diagonal
buttresses and moulded coped parapet. C14 two-light cusped window to north with
curvilinear tracery. Chamfered surround. To either side of vestry a single
chamfered lancet. Nave of 3 bays is CI2 with late C14 clerestory. Moulded coped
parapet. To south an early Clb porch with moulded plinth and diagonal offset
buttresses. 4-centred hollow chamfered arch. Hood mould with label stops. To
east and west square-headed, 2-light window with iron transoms and mullion
ending in spear head. 4-centred arched doorway with chamfered and
hollow-chamfered surround. Above, the remains of the C12 arch with zig-zag
mould. C15 cusped niche with poppy head, broken through C12 arch. C20 plank door
with carved mouse on surround. To right of porch a doorway of 2 orders with
shaft and capital, now blocked, with leaded window. To left of porch a C14
two-light window with reticulated tracery and double-chamfered surround.
Clerestory to north and south has three 2-light cusped square-headed windows
with double chamfered surrounds. North transept is C13, enlarged C15 and has
diagonal offset buttresses, coped parapet and plinth. To north a C19 three-light
window in Decorated style. To east and west two C15 two-light square-headed
windows with hood mould and carved label stops. C19 three-light window to east
in Decorated style. C15 south transept, almost entirely rebuilt C19, has
Perpendicular style windows to east and west, with a 3-light window to south in
Decorated style. West tower of 3 stages, the first 2 stages are C12 with broad,
flat buttresses and C12 round-headed lancets to south and west. C15 top stage
has castellated parapet with a gargoyle below to each side. C15 two-light cusped
bell-chamber windows with stone slate louvres. C12 stair turret has single
lights to west with a further C15 light to top stage. Painted sundial to south
face of tower, with clock to west dated 1868. Interior: chancel has C13,
four-bay niche arcade to north and south with hollow-chamfered surrounds.
Further C15 triple sedilia with cusps restored C19, Small cusped piscina to
left. Restored C12 round-headed chancel arch of 2 orders of shafts and capitals.
North transept arch is C13 with round shaft and capital north-west and C19
polygonal respond to east. Hood mould with C13 carved head label stop. C19 south
transept arch in C15 style. C12 round-headed quadruple-chamfered tower arch.
Square-headed stair turret door in tower. C15 roofs, restored C20, rest on stone
corbels. Polygonal moulded font. C19 stained glass in chancel. OS altar table.
C15 effigy of priest in tower. Stone tablet in north transept set up by John
Palmer for his father Richard, died 1582, and his own wife Frances who died
1601. Brass to Brent family, from 1595 to 1666, with a brass of the Brent wyvern
to either side. Brass tablet to Biles Palmer. Further brass to Edmund, son of
Henry Jones, died 1667. One C18 and 2 early C19 marble tablets in nave walls.
Grave slabs in nave to Joan Canning of Foxcote, 1685, and to Thomas Canning,
1716. Five bells by Henry Bagley, 1641. C20 pews with 'mouse' carvings by the
mouse man of Kilburn'. Good C16 chest in tower.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.316-7; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5,
Listing NGR: SP2096843470
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.