Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 30 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 307003
OS Grid Reference: SP3984851441
OS Grid Coordinates: 439848, 251441
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1598, -1.4189
Explore more of the area around Burton Dassett, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.
8/8 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 origins. Chancel and transepts early C13; east end of chancel and
aisles late C13. Tower and porch early C14. Clerestory early C15. Restored
1888-1889 and 1936-1939. Regular coursed ironstone and squared coursed rubble.
Some splayed plinths. Low-pitched lead roofs have parapets and gable parapets
with moulded cornices and copings. Aisled cruciform plan with west tower and
north porch. 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave, 3-bay aisles. Chancel has low diagonal
buttresses and east plinth. Largely restored 4-light east window has
intersecting tracery. Chancel has south doorway partly below ground level.
Ogee-arched window above. Hood moulds throughout. Sill course. 2-liqht windows:
north-east and south-east have restored Y-tracery; north-west and south-west
have reticulated tracery of c.1340, with south-west low side window below to
south-west. North transept has restored C14 twin east lancets, 4-light north
window has lancets and circular opening. 2-light square-headed west clerestory
window. Porch has east and west angle buttresses. Moulded and chamfered ogee
doorway with ballflower and head stops. Double-leaf plank doors. 2-light
square-headed openings with blind tracery. Reset Romanesque doorway inside has
square and roll-moulded orders and scalloped west capital: nook-shafts and east
capital missing. Ancient oak door with strap hinges and draw-bar sockets. North
aisle has low angle buttresses. Lancets, stepped to north-east, and twin to
north-west and west have continuous hood moulds. Clerestory of 5 square-headed
2-light windows, with tracery to north; plain south windows at lower level.
South transept has C15 three-light windows. Square headed east window and
moulded segmental pointed south window nave. Perpendicular tracery. South aisle
has central reset Romanesque doorway, similar to north aisle, with nook-shafts
and scalloped capitals. Two 3-light Perpendicular windows. Two C13 west lancets.
Tower of 3 stages with plain string courses. Diagonal buttresses, C15 west
doorway, much eroded, of 2 orders. 2-light window above has reticulated tracery.
2-light square-headed bell openings. Parapet with string course and gargoyles to
all except east side. Square north-east stair turret has blind quatrefoil above
parapet. South east buttress, Interior rises steeply from west to east in 7
stages. Plastered walls. Chancel has late C13 piscina. Chamfered
segmental-arched sedilia. Renewed and restored C15 Perpendicular roofs. Chancel
arch of c.1200 of 3 chamfered and moulded orders has continuous central order
without imposts. Inner and outer orders have shafts with moulded bases and shaft
rings; inner north shaft and lower parts of south shaft missing. Varied
scalloped capitals to south and north-east; stiff-leaf capitals to north.
Blocked arched rood-loft entrance to left. Arches of 2 chamfered orders
throughout. Mid/late C13 north arcade has octagonal piers and responds with
round capitals and abaci carved, "exceptionally for Warwickshire" (V.C.H.), with
foliage trails, animals and monsters. Hood moulds. Slightly narrower east bay.
South arcade has 3 bays similar to north, but capitals left uncarved. Narrow
east bay of c.1200, of 2 orders. 6-bay roof has 2 moulded tie beans, curved
braces and wall posts, and some carved corbels. North transept has ancient stone
altar slab on later stonework, and flanking stone benches, C13 ogee piscina.
Arched aumbry in north wall. Late C13 segmental pointed tomb recess with
attached shafts. 2-bay roof, possibly C17 has chamfered tie beam. Arch to aisle
has triple shafts to south and shaft with moulded capital to north. Aisle has
lean-to roof with moulded timbers, braces with traceried spandrels, and head
corbels. South transept has c18/C19 roof. Arch to aisle has inner shafts and
moulded capitals. Aisle has C13 piscina. C16/C17 roof has moulded tie beams and
ogee brackets. Wall paintings: remains of C13 paintings on north and south nave
walls. Late C14 Virgin, St. John and angels above chancel arch. Remains of early
C17 Creed and text cartouches on north and south walls. Fittings: C14 and other
medieval tiles. Communion table 1618. C19 oil lamps, converted to electricity.
Monuments: north transept: John Temple 1603. Wall monument with columns and
painted coats of arms. Late C16 chest tomb. South transept: John Swain 1658 and
wife 1677. Chest tomb with corner scrolls. C17 and C18 floor slabs and wall
monuments. The church is large, fine and remarkably unaltered.
(Frances O'Shaughnessy: The Story of Burton Dassett Church; V.C.H.:
Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.72-76; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.22).
Listing NGR: SP3984651442
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.