If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 30 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 307031
OS Grid Reference: SP3493453024
OS Grid Coordinates: 434934, 253024
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1744, -1.4906
There is also a scheduled monument, Standing Cross Immediately South of All Saints Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Chadshunt, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.
CHADSHUNT KINETON ROAD
SP35SW (West side)
7/35 Church of All Saints
Church. Mid C12 nave, lengthened C14; early C15 clerestory, roof and buttresses.
C17 tower. Chancel and north transept c.1730. Restored 1866 and 1906. Nave of
squared coursed ironstone, remainder of ironstone ashlar. Nave has tile roof;
chancel and transept have tile roofs with coped gable parapets and moulded
kneelers; chancel has pediment. Chancel, nave, north transept, west tower.
Chancel of one large bay, 3-bay nave. Chancel has plinth and cyma recta moulded
cornices Venetian window has moulded stone architrave with fielded panelled
mullions and keystones. Wall below breaks forward. Round-arched south window in
stone architrave with impost blocks and keystone. North wall has monuments of
1788 and 1813 to the Whateley family. Nave has double splayed plinth to western
part. Early C15 buttresses. Hollow-moulded cornice. C12 south doorway, with some
C14 alterations, has Romanesque shafts and pointed arch of 2 orders, the outer
moulded. Early C18 fielded 6-panelled door. Eastern window of paired lancets.
2-light C14 western window has reticulated tracery and hood mould. 3
straight-headed clerestory windows of paired trefoiled lancets, with hood
moulds. South buttress has small carved head. North door similar to south, but
round-arched with hood mould; left shaft missing. Clerestory window similar to
south side. Parapet. North transept, containing family pew, has round arched
window with keystone to east and west. North side has similar 2-light window
with basket arched doorway breaking into the bottom. Fielded 8-panelled door
with wrought iron strap hinges. Stone architraves throughout. Tower of 2 stages.
Moulded double splayed plinth. Diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets to tall first
stage. Low wide chamfered 4-centred west doorway has ribbed and studded door.
Double-chamfered straight-headed west window of two 4-centred lights with sunk
spandrels. Similar louvred bell openings. Moulded cornice and crenellated
parapet. South-east stair projection has slit windows. Interior: chancel has
deep coved plaster ceiling with rectangular panel and penetrations above east
window and chancel arch. Double-chamfered round chancel arch without imposts.
Nave has small C13 piscina and fragment of blind tracery. Restored low-pitched
C15 king post roof has moulded tie beams and braces and stone corbels. Carved
bosses below king posts, mostly foliage, but first bay has the Paschal Lamb, and
a carved head on the post. Beam above chancel has numerous bosses.
Double-chamfered round arch with moulded imposts to transept forming raised
family pew. Panelled wood segmental barrel vault with moulded ribs and bosses.
Fittings: C12 font has round bowl with intersecting blind arcading and nailhead,
and moulded base. Chancel has dado of painted fielded panelling. Wrought iron
parcel-gilt altar and chancel rails of c.1730. Fielded panelled pulpit c.1730.
Panelled family pew, probably mid C19; front mid C20. Lobby to pew has elaborate
mid C19 encaustic tiled floor. Stalls and pews throughout are mid C19. Stained
glass: family pew has panels of Italian painted glass, said to be dated 1558, in
stained glass settings of 1855. Wall monuments: chancel south: Sarah Clarke
1765. Nave south wall: Walter Newsham 1621: pilasters and large strapwork crest.
William Askell 1613: brass. Michael Askell, died 1697, by Richard Taylor. Doric
architrave with urn, seated putti and winged heads.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.V, pp.32-33; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP3493453024
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.