If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Giles
Date Listed: 30 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 307048
OS Grid Reference: SP3571158240
OS Grid Coordinates: 435711, 258240
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2212, -1.4787
There is also a scheduled monument, Moated Site and Medieval Settlement Remains at Church End, 600m East of Ewefields Farm, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Chesterton and Kingston, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.
CHESTERTON AND KINGSTON CHESTERTON
5/54 Church of St. Giles
Church. C12 origins. Early C13 nave, chancel and tower, possibly lengthened late
C14. Late C15 roof and nave south wall and porch. Upper part of tower c.1600.
Restored 1862. Chancel tower and nave north wall of squared coursed white
limestone; tower has contrasting limestone dressings. Nave north wall and porch
of limestone ashlar; nave wall has some ironstone. Lead roofs with embattled
parapets. Porch has old tile roof. Chancel, nave, west tower and south porch.
Decorated and Perpendicular style. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Long, low and
narrow, with only slight differentiation between chancel and nave. C19
three-light east window with head stops. Hood moulds. Gable parapet has cross
finial. South priest's doorway of 2 hollow-chamfered orders. North and south
windows have restored cusped Y-tracery. North side has angle and other
buttresses. South porch has moulded basket arch doorway. C17/C18 painted sundial
above. Stone seats. Decorated south doorway of 2 moulded orders with wide band
between of large ballflowers and running trail. Splayed plinth and angle
buttresses. C19 double-leaf door. 3 late Perpendicular straight headed windows
of 3 hollow chamfered Tudor-arched lights. Early C15 sculptured panel above
porch, probably of the Adoration of the Magi, has moulded frame and 3 panels
with ogee canopies and headless figures; fourth panel missing; probably
originally part of a reredos. North side has 4 buttresses, much patched with
brick. 3-light Perpendicular north-east window. Decorated north-west window has
curvilinear tracery. Low bricked-up north door. Tower of 2 stages has massive
diagonal buttresses of 3 offsets to first stage. Moulded string course. Low
moulded west doorway with C19 plank door. Basket-arched window above. Tudor
arched south window. Second stage has quoins. Bell openings of paired chamfered
segmental-arched lights. Embattled parapet with moulded cornice. Interior:
chancel and west end plastered. Chancel has Decorated piscina with nodding ogee
head, ribs and carved boss. Restored low-pitched Perpendicular roof of 9 bays
has moulded tie beams, curved braces, and purlins, and colonnette wall-posts on
stone corbels. Nave, now extended into chancel, with screen positioned east of
priest's door. Nave has painted piscina with ogee arch. Fittings: C13 tapering
cylindrical font with moulded base and short stem. Late C19/C20 Perpendicular
style screen. Mid C19 pews. Stained glass; nave north east window has C15
fragments. East window 1862 by O'Connor. Monuments: nave south west: Sir
Humphrey Peyto 1585 and Anna Peyto. Painted alabaster chest tomb with effigies,
balusters and shields of arms, and 2 back panels of children. West: Edward Peyto
1643 and Elizabeth Peyto by John Stone. White marble busts in aedicule with
Corinthian columns and half-columns and cartouche of arms within the pediment.
North west: William Peyto 1619 and his wife 1636. By Nicholas Stone 1639. White
marble busts in large niche with cartouche, within aedicule of composite
pilasters and pediment containing a small segmental pediment. It cost £150. Both
monuments are very fine. Floor slab: Edward Peyto 1658. Large black slab with
carved coat of arms.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.45-46; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
Listing NGR: SP3571158240
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.