British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Ladbroke

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 30 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 307142

OS Grid Reference: SP4134658896
OS Grid Coordinates: 441346, 258896
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2267, -1.3961

Location: Church Road, Ladbroke, Warwickshire CV47 2DF

Locality: Ladbroke
Local Authority: Stratford-on-Avon District Council
County: Warwickshire
Country: England
Postcode: CV47 2DF

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Ladbroke, Warwickshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP4158 (North side)
15/11 Church of All Saints


Church. C13 origins, mostly rebuilt early C14, with C15 additions. Restored 1876
by Sir Gilbert Scott. Limestone, lias and sandstone squared coursed rubble with
ashlar dressings. C19- and C20-tile, and lead roofs. Chancel, aisled nave and
west tower. C13, C14 and C15 chancel. 3 bays with moulded plinth, offset
buttresses, chamfered eaves cornice and coped gable to east with cross at apex.
Gable rebuilt, probably C19. C13 east window of 3 pointed lights with Y-tracery
within chamfered surround with hood mould and carved-head labels. Two C13
windows to north, each of 2 pointed lights with unpierced spandrel. Three C15
three-light windows above, in C15 raised wall. To south a C14 doorway with ogee
head within a stop-chamfered segmental-arched surround. C19 plank door. C19
restored 3-light window to left, with a C15 three-light window to right. In
raised wall above 3 further C15 three-light windows. C14 aisled nave of 3 bays
with chamfered plinth, offset buttresses, chamfered eaves cornice to aisles and
clerestory and coped gable to east with cross at apex. North aisle has blocked
pointed-arched doorway with chamfered surround to centre, flanked to left by a
window of 3 ogee-headed cusped lights, and to right by a window of 2 ogee-headed
lights to east wall, with a window of 3 cusped lights within segmental-arched
surround to west wall. Windows of south aisle similarly disposed, with a
window of 2 ogee-headed lights to left of porch and to east wall, and a window
of 3 ogee-headed lights to right of porch. 3-light window with segmental-arched
surround to west wall. Restored C15 gabled porch with chamfered plinth and
offset buttresses. Pointed-arch entrance with double ovolo-moulded surround with
a C15 corbel built in at apex. Incised sundial above is dated Ibis. Within porch
are C14 carved-head corbels built in walls, including 2 crowned and bearded
heads. Early C14 pointed-arch doorway with chamfered surround. C14 tower of
banded lias and limestone with moulded plinth, offset buttresses with pinnacles,
hollow-moulded eaves cornice and embattled parapet. C15 window to lower stage
west of 2 lights with cusped tracery within moulded surround. Hood mould with
carved head labels. Rectangular light to second stage south, with 2 loops. C14
third stage belfry windows each of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil-pierced
spandrel. Interior: C13 chancel windows have deeply-splayed reveals and
chamfered rere-arches. South doorway has plain ogee-headed surround. Restored
C14 sedilia, each seat divided by moulded mullions. Cusped ogee heads with
pinnacles and poppy-head finials. C14 Easter sepulchre to north has moulded
pointed-arch surround and carved gable. Early C14 chancel arch, the polygonal
responds with moulded capitals. Double-chamfered arch. Early C14 nave arcade of
3 bays. Octagonal piers with chamfered bases and moulded capitals, with responds
to east and west. Double-chamfered arches. Aisle windows have splayed reveals.
North and south doorways have round heads with chamfered rere-arches. C19 tomb
recess in south wall with early C14 worn effigy of priest in vestments, found
under chancel floor. Probably John de Pavely, rector of Ladbroke 1298-1303.
Tower arch of 4 chamfered orders, the inner order continuing to ground. C19
restored low-pitched chancel roof, with scissor-braced nave roof. C19 tiled
chancel and nave floors, and C19 pulpit and font. Alabaster memorial in north
chancel wall to Elizabeth Skrymster, who died 5 November 1712. Oval tablet with
carved floral surround surmounted by urn, and supported by cornice. Marble
memorial in south chancel wall to William Palmer Esq., who died 20 April 1720,
and his wife Elizabeth who died 20 August, 1729. Tablet has Ionic pilaster
surround surmounted by cornice and broken segmental pediment with carved coat of
arms. Memorial in south aisle wall to Charles Palmer Esq., who died 2 August
1806. Further memorial to Thomas Williams who died 11 November 1789. Various C19
wall memorials and brasses. Tower floor said to be paved with memorial slabs.
C19 stained glass, including windows in north chancel wall by Kempe and Tower.
V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, p.145-146; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,

Listing NGR: SP4134658897

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.